PDA

View Full Version : Gone 12 days....

Gone 12 days....

Sekani
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi guys. I know this is issue isn't as pressing as some in this particular forum, but onyx hasn't had food for 12 days now :( Thankfully its not cause he doesn't eat but because our little country is absolutely shocking when it comes to taking care of reptiles. I came home to my mams and brought onyx with me for the Easter holidays and went to our local pet shop, which usually do and always SHOULD have mice for him to eat as they sell snakes... but anyway they said they'd have them in in a few days so I figured that onyx probably wouldn't notice if I was a few days behind feeding. Onyx was due to be fed when I first went in (5 days after he'd eaten last). Went in again and they still didn't have any, I was going to resort to getting my mother to drive 40 mins away to the next closest pet shop but thankfully they had them in today! Poor Onyx :( Sorry for the rant, basically what I want to know is whether I should give him just one (as normal) fuzzy or two because he hasn't eaten in so long? Oh he's 50gs by the way and 10 months old. Thanks :) Oh btw how long can they go without food before they're at risk?

hypnoctopus
03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I would feed him the normal amount. 12 days isn't very long without food, especially since he's not a tiny baby anymore. Do you have any online suppliers?

Nythain
03-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Just feed him like you normally would. Doesn't hurt to miss a meal or two, but trying to overfeed to make up for it will result in a regurge, even more missed meals, and a lot of stress on you and your snakey.

Nanci
03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
I would just feed him one normal, or slightly smaller than normal, fuzzy. It is probably much less stressful for him to stay home and miss two meals than to travel all around. At his age, I would only bring him with if it meant not feeding for two weeks. And you have to consider not feeding him for five days before you travel away, and then five days before you travel back- so- it's not like he's missing out on that many potential meals anyway, especially if you let him settle in for two or three days before feeding him while away from home.

Sekani
03-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Do you have any online suppliers?
For fuzzies? To be honest, I never thought of getting them online.. didn't really think I could... They wouldnt be frozen anymore would they? :o

hypnoctopus
03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
I buy all sizes online and yes, they ship them with dry ice so they stay frozen.

Sekani
03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I would just feed him one normal, or slightly smaller than normal, fuzzy. It is probably much less stressful for him to stay home and miss two meals than to travel all around. At his age, I would only bring him with if it meant not feeding for two weeks. And you have to consider not feeding him for five days before you travel away, and then five days before you travel back- so- it's not like he's missing out on that many potential meals anyway, especially if you let him settle in for two or three days before feeding him while away from home.

I know what you mean about not moving him around and I wish I could just leave him, but my college apartment is absolutely freezing unless I'm there with the heater on and I simply would not be able to afford the heating bill if I'm not even there. Especially because it's been snowing like mad here the past few weeks. I thought it would be easier to bring him home as I didn't want him to miss any meals because he never has before (not even when he's in shed). Its only a 30/40 minute drive, do you think he would get stressed much? I never thought about not feeding him before or after travel, as he hasn't ever refused food, should you not feed them for a few days?
One other reason I wanted to bring him home which is probably so selfish of me.. but I really wanted my family to get to see onyx over the holidays :o he's just so cute...

Sekani
03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
I buy all sizes online and yes, they ship them with dry ice so they stay frozen.
Thats so cool, I didnt know that! I would get them online but when I'm in my college town the pet shop is right beside my apartment and they're only €1.50 each! I probably should've gotten some before I left and brought them with me..
:laugh: