PDA

View Full Version : New snake owner, feeding questions

New snake owner, feeding questions

badnova
03-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I went and grabbed an adult mouse for athena tonight.

I put them both in a box, not her regular vivarium.

They danced around for awhile and athena tried to strike multiple times but came away empty handed every time. Finally she just lost interest and started trying to escape the box. I put her back in her viv and contained the mouse until tomorrow.

What is the problem? Did she just loose interest because she couldn't catch it? How do I remedy the situation?

Disclaimer: Zero snake experience, this is my first one and first time feeding.

starsevol
03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
I went and grabbed an adult mouse for athena tonight.

I put them both in a box, not her regular vivarium.

They danced around for awhile and athena tried to strike multiple times but came away empty handed every time. Finally she just lost interest and started trying to escape the box. I put her back in her viv and contained the mouse until tomorrow.

What is the problem? Did she just loose interest because she couldn't catch it? How do I remedy the situation?

Disclaimer: Zero snake experience, this is my first one and first time feeding.

Do you know what she was raised on? Please consider frozen thawed.....much better in many ways and so much better for both the mouse and the snake....
And please tell me the mouse has food and water and won't suffer....
they have feelings too....

badnova
03-28-2013, 11:56 PM
I was told they fed her live at the pet store. ya small mouse cage for it

starsevol
03-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Most corns will switch to thawed...please think about it....

starsevol
03-29-2013, 12:02 AM
You probably wont want my advice, but here it is ...
make that mouse a pet.
Buy frozen mice
and try it next feeding.....
corns usually go for thawed.

Lyreiania
03-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi...congratulations on your new snake! I hope she gives you years of pleasure and fun. I also agree with the frozen mouse idea, for a few reasons. Frozen mice are far less expensive than buying live mice at a pet store. I buy frozen mice in bulk for my crew and its far less than a dollar per mouse. Frozen thawed is better for the snake also, prevents a scared mouse from biting the snake, and kinder for the mouse- death by slow snake strangulation is not pleasant for the mouse.

Lastly, mice do make great pets, but one mouse alone will be lonely and suffer for it; mice are social creatures. If you make this mouse a pet and get a second, ensure its the same sex (though watch out if its a male as two males may fight, bitterly and bloodily...and even two females may decide they hate each other) or else you will be neck deep in mouse babies in no time.

Good luck with Athena. Pretty name.