PDA

View Full Version : Help me! My snake is squeaking! D:

Help me! My snake is squeaking! D:

Shiverdam
03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
I took Benji out to feed him today when I noticed some whistly-squeaking noises that seemed to be coming from him. The window was open so I assumed it was coming from outside, but it constantly was coming from Benji. So I closed my window and went to feed him when I heard him squeaking again.
He's got some flaky leftover scales on the top of his head and one further down his body. Do you suppose it could be some leftover shed in his nose? It's not affecting his usual activities and personality at all, he's just squeaking a bit. Should I be concerned or just wait for the next shed and keep him humid? His color is dulling a bit so he's due to shed pretty soon.

Lyreiania
03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi there. Sometimes snakes can make odd sounding noises before a shed. One of mine sometimes sneezes prior to shedding. So that might be it. But if you see bubbles or things coming from the snakes nose, that could well mean its a respiratory issue- a snake viral or bacterial cold/ infection. But colds in snakes can kill them, so if that is a possible, a vet visit (not just any veterinarian will do; a herp vet is needed for snakes) just to make sure is a good idea. Leftover scales? I am not quite sure to what that refers, but if a snake does not shed all his skin, the old retained shed can become a source of skin infection issues, and can even lead to gangrene as it constricts the snake (specially at the tail tip). So if your snake does have a retained shed, soaking in appropriate temperature water (and not too deep) for 15 or so minutes can help him remove that....or can help you to help him. One of my snakes needs that assist to shed each time he sheds.

Good luck with your pet...I hope he is OK and well :)

SquamishSerpents
03-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Wait for the next shed, unless you see your snake holding his mouth open for long periods of time (not a yawn as you may see directly after feeding, but actually sitting there with his mouth agape) OR if you see bubbles or any wetness coming from his mouth.

If you see any of those additional symptoms a vet visit to a qualified herp vet is in order. But from the sounds of it, I don't think you have to worry, especially since you can visibly see some leftover skin.

Shiverdam
03-30-2013, 04:07 PM
So far there have been no bubbles or wetness and this is the first and only time I've heard him squeaking. Back in his viv I don't hear it anymore, and his mouth isn't hanging open either. Whew!

Wamba681
03-30-2013, 04:17 PM
My little girl Callia before she shed had a bout where she kept sneezing. Once she shed though, it stopped. I guess the skin was irritating her snout. If the snake has left over shed, I would follow the instructions above :)

SquamishSerpents
03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
It's the same as having one of those dried boogies in your nose, sometimes it makes ya whistle! Lol.