PDA

View Full Version : How long for potential regurge?

How long for potential regurge?

Nythain
03-31-2013, 11:32 PM
I know there's no set in stone answer to this. I was just curious how long after eating would be a safe time to stop worrying about a regurge? Like, is there a point of no return? I know the whole "Two days before handling" rule, but was more curious what the likelihood of a regurge on day 3 or 4 is. Little Plissken moved from the warm side of the tank, into his moist hide towards the cool side, mid digestion and I'm sort of worried sick that the cooler temperatures might lead to a regurge. It's been 51 hours since he ate (a little over two days now), and nothings happened yet, so can I stop worrying or should I risk disturbing him and try to get him back over to the warm side?

VampMN
04-01-2013, 04:10 AM
I don't have an answer about when a regurge might happen. However as far as trying to move him to the warm side, I'd suggest just letting him be. Most of the time my snakes digest on the warm side, but sometimes they do it on the cool side. In fact our escapee, Riker, would digest on the cool side almost exclusively. As nerve racking as it can be for us, I just figure the snake knows what it needs.

bitsy
04-01-2013, 04:27 AM
should I risk disturbing him and try to get him back over to the warm side?
No, leave him be, he's fine. Chances are he'd just move back anyway! As long as the temps on the floor are correct and there are hides to choose from, then he'll put himself in the correct temp zone for his needs. Many of mine don't spend long on the warm side digesting - sometimes they don't go over there at all. It won't be the same behaviour each time and sometimes it can change at different points in their lives. I assume as there's a moist hide in with him that he's due a shed, and the shedding process can affect their digestive process.

Just relax. You've provided the optimum conditions, so you can trust the snake to do what's best.

Nythain
04-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Thanks everyone.

Nanci
04-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Regurges usually happen in the 24-70 hour period, but I wouldn't stop worrying about it, if you are really expecting it, until five to seven days.

The snake is going to go where he wants to be, no matter where you put him.