PDA

View Full Version : :( I injured my hatchling

:( I injured my hatchling

boricua00735
04-07-2013, 10:10 PM
I have never had a snake escape but yesterday i pushed the tub in too far and left a small opening. Today i wake up its my day off and i go to open my glass door to go outside and i find my baby avalanche the smallest of my corns in the track:( I slid the glass door over her and hurt the lower half of her body she is not cut but has a lump where it looks like the door pinched her body. It immediately turned purple colored. I immediately switched her to paper towels and raised her temp up a little bit. Later on i gave her a bath and applied neosporin to the injured areas. Is there anything else i can do for the time being? I looked up many old threads where the injuries looked much worse some even with ribs poking out that pulled through but they were much older she is only 12grams!!!! If she has broken ribs internally will they heal with time? All the threads i read said that the vet cnt do much but take an xray and provide anitbiotics for infections. I feel absolutely ty and was almost in tears all morning as this was a future project baby:crying: If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

hypnoctopus
04-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry, I don't have any advice to give you, but I hope she pulls through!

boricua00735
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
she seems fine now she moves but i can tell that are is in pain she can move the tip of her tail and everything above just fine but the injured area has no movement for now:( The gooey stuff is neosporin.

thank you hypnoctopus i really appreciate it.

boricua00735
04-07-2013, 10:29 PM
i was thinking about not feeding her for 2-3 weeks so she can heal and when i do just trying a pink head but i am super worried about her digesting as it is her lower half:( she ate last week and shed yesterday!

RoseRed
04-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I don't think I have much advice either :( except to leave her alone so it won't get any worse.

Crossing my fingers your little one will get better.

Myca
04-08-2013, 12:36 AM
So sorry for what you are going through. I hope she heals.

juliegarner
04-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Aww hope she heals soon x

LMS68
04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh poor thing. I hope she recovers well. I don't have anything useful to suggest, sorry. Having gone through a tail mutilation (we think the cat tried to pull the snake out of her tank while she was cruising along the top) all I can do is empathise with your worry & stress.

bitsy
04-08-2013, 09:03 AM
It could be that the paralysis is temporary and caused by swelling. Only time will tell with that as the initial inflammation resolves. There are obviously broken bones from the way that lump is sticking out, but Corns are very resilient to that kind of injury. However if the paralysis proves to be permanent or there are internal injuries , then I'm afraid the chances aren't good.

One of mine survived major rib crush injuries after trying to squeeze between sliding glass doors in a breeding frenzy. He's badly deformed and moves very erratically, but is otherwise fine. However, in his case, he luckily had no internal injuries and was never paralysed.

boricua00735
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the concern i wilk keep everyone updated on her condition. I am giving her time to heal i checked on her this morning and she passed a small poo. There was a small drop of blood but the poo looked normal hopefully that is a good sign that she will be able to pass food in a couple of weeks.

Bitsy how soon would u attempt feeding i dont even want to try anything for two or three weeks is that an ok time frame for her to heal up some?

taxman123
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I would leave her alone for awhile I know u want to keep checking on her but I would let her go in her hide and let the healing start you dont want to stress her out to much with picking her up and her moving around. Dont worry about her not eating if she just ate they can go for awhile without eating you would hate to reinjure her when she trys to coil or pass the food. Theres not much else you can do at this point maybe some antibiotics so the wound doesnt get infected. Good Luck with her.

LMS68
04-08-2013, 03:14 PM
If it's anything like with our snake, she didn't eat for 3 to 4 weeks.

boricua00735
04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
taxman123 I would leave her alone for awhile I know u want to keep checking on her but I would let her go in her hide and let the healing start you dont want to stress her out to much with picking her up and her moving around. Dont worry about her not eating if she just ate they can go for awhile without eating you would hate to reinjure her when she trys to coil or pass the food. Theres not much else you can do at this point maybe some antibiotics so the wound doesnt get infected. Good Luck with her.

Thanks lonny, I have not held her but i did put neosporin on her wounds yesterday and today she has been a trooper she has sat still while i apply the neosporin then goes and hides after i am done in her warm hide. Is daily applications too much should i do it every 2 or 3 days? Im sorry for askin so many questions i just want her to be ok:(

LMS Oh poor thing. I hope she recovers well. I don't have anything useful to suggest, sorry. Having gone through a tail mutilation (we think the cat tried to pull the snake out of her tank while she was cruising along the top) all I can do is empathise with your worry & stress.

Thanks you, and i hope your boy is doing better as well!

Myca
04-19-2013, 01:26 AM
How is your baby?

Kat_Dog
04-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Stop putting Neosporin on her, it turns scales to mush and does much more harm than good.

boricua00735
04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Myca How is your baby?

Unfortunately I took her too vet and theyy concluded her injuries were too severe and she was euthanized:( thank you for you concern tho its truely appreciated.

beautifullywild77
04-20-2013, 12:48 PM
I am so sorry :(

Nanci
04-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry Jorge. That sucks.

Myca
04-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Oh Jorge I'm so sorry.

Guruofchem
04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
My condolences, sir...