PDA

View Full Version : Possible scale rot? Please help!

Possible scale rot? Please help!

JeniDB
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Fluffy is my (nearly) 4 year old amel that I've had since he was a hatchling. He has never had a bad shed, never been ill, and only once skipped a meal (and I think it's because he was being "frisky" and wants to breed, but then decided women weren't worth starvation:rolleyes:).

About a week ago I noticed two dark spots. One one his head between his eyes and one on the back of his neck. I watched them carefully but they didn't grow any larger or any darker. 2 days ago I got him out of his viv to spend some quality time with him, and for the first time in his life he rattled at me. He didn't strike or act agitated, and I don't believe I really startled him - but this is way out of his norm. About 4 days ago he became blue, so I decided to hold off the vet visit until he shed to see if they went away with his shed.

Per usual, Fluffy had a perfect shed yesterday and the spots did not go away. The smaller spot on the back of his neck is now just an off white area that blends in with his scales. However, I think the spot on top of his head has gotten worse.

I am not opposed to taking him to the vet and spending my life savings on him, but I wanted to see if any of you guys have seen this before or dealt with it or maybe there's something I can do at home to remedy the problem.

His set up: 30 gallon long with aspen bedding, a large turtle shell hide on the warm side (where he spends most of his time) and a large box hide on the cool side, along with his water dish (a dog bowl he can crawl under). I change the aspen in his tank monthly (spot cleaning it when he poops) and clean it out every few months. He hasn't been in contact with my other snakes (plus they're not sick - so I'm not all too worried about that being a factor). He never roams freely, I always know what he's getting into and I'm always with him when he's out of his tank. He has not been out in the cold, or in any extreme heat and has not been rubbing it on anything (that I've noticed).

Attached are a couple of photos - thanks so much for your time! Hopefully someone has answers. If not, it's off to the vet for this little man!

EmmyGee
04-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Im not the best at this type of stuff, but it could be anything. Has he still been eating properly? Maybe its an infection of some sort, perhaps even a fungal infection. I'd do some more research on the topic ;)

JeniDB
04-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I've done some research but am starting to just freak myself out with all of the possibilities haha. He hasn't eaten since I've noticed it because he wasn't scheduled to eat until a few days ago, but he was blue by that time and I don't feed them when they're blue.

EmmyGee
04-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Hmm... Well its definately not a tick or a mite... Id say its infection. Ill search it up ;)

EmmyGee
04-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I've done some research but am starting to just freak myself out with all of the possibilities haha. He hasn't eaten since I've noticed it because he wasn't scheduled to eat until a few days ago, but he was blue by that time and I don't feed them when they're blue.

Actually, looking more closely at the picture, it looks like a scab.
Im not sure... :eek1:

EmmyGee
04-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Haha, sorry i keep on posting seperate things, im trying my best to help. ;)
It doesnt look like scale rot thankfully, thats all i need to say :D

JeniDB
04-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah. I wondered. It didn't look like any of the pictures of scale rot I've seen but it looks pretty gnarly.

beautifullywild77
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Do you feed live or frozen/thawed?

Or have you found any sharp edges inside his viv, on a hide, or screen top?

JeniDB
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
No sharp edges, and I feed frozen thawed only.

beautifullywild77
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Looks like a wound of some sort. It might go away with a couple of sheds. I would clean it and put ointment on it without pain meds in it. I would put your scalebaby on paper towels. If it gets worst, I would make a trip to the vet.

JeniDB
04-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Thank you very much. I'll just keep an eye on it for a few sheds.