PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Tail - What Else to Do?

Damaged Tail - What Else to Do?

Aozora
04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
My hypo lavender girl had some stuck shed retained on the last 4-5mm of her tail the very first time she ever shed for us when we first got her, and ever since then she's had a bit of a funky (misshapen) tail tip. We've managed to keep it clean and taken care of for every subsequent shed, but she just shed today and degloved that funky 4-5mm tailtip. I didn't grab it to see if it was actively bleeding, but it looked pretty bloody. I caught her just as she finished shedding and saw the issue.

I dipped the tip of her tail in a liquid bandage solution which contained alcohol to try to protect it from infection and try to heal it. (By the way, even the calmest snake will flail and squirm when you put a degloved tail tip in something containing alcohol...) Is there anything else I can or should do for her for right now?

I don't imagine she'll keep the last 4-5mm of her tail since it's been so funky and now it's been degloved. What should I keep an eye on for future sheds, and how can I head off any potential issues when she eventually does lose that tip?

LMS68
04-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Polysporin (clear) will be your friend! I know it was mine when my snake got her tail accident (was torn off or bit off by the cat we suspect. All that is left is a 3/4" nub). Clean it with a water/betadine solution then dab some poly on it. I would recommend that you take out the substrate from the tank, clean it well & line the bottom with paper towel, that way the tail doesn't get any contamination.

Does she seem to be in distress?

Aozora
04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the suggestion! I've switched her aspen substrate to paper towels.

She doesn't seem to be in any distress. She didn't want me to handle her tail tip, but she had no problem wrapping it around me as an anchor point while I was holding her. The raw tip of her tail has turned the dark brown of a scab, and it's pretty clear to see where the liquid bandage was applied and is protecting the raw spot.

Should I remove the liquid bandage coating and switch over to just polysporin and betadine? I don't want it to cut off air access to the wound, but at the same time I don't want to try to take it off if the removal process (which will involve gentle rubbing of the affected area) would cause her to bleed again.