PDA

View Full Version : please help me build a mouse breeding cage

please help me build a mouse breeding cage

lnwolf88
07-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Can anyone provide plans/info on building a mouse breeding cage want to build two cages for two seperate colonies. My collection of snakes is growing and mice are getting expensive :-puke01: .

Khaman
07-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Try this page. http://www.dwightgood.com/snakes/mouse.htm

Milleniumtat2
07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Okay let me first explain that I am no expert on the subject, but I have several breeding cages set up. In my opinion glass cages or aquariums work best as far as I asm concerned for two reasons. First off you dont have to change the bedding as often and the general health of my glass caged mice seem better. For my other cages I used the plastic sterilite cages as well. I recommend that you cut the center of the top out and put mesh wire in the center (duct tape holds well) because it gets intirely too humid inside of the cages with just holes punched in it. Even with the mesh wire tops I still have to change the bedding every 3 or 4 days compared to my glass cages once a week. In my breeder cages I put one male with 4 females and leave them be, except to feed and water daily. I have also learned that it is best to mark your male (i used a blue highlighter) if the mice are all white, just in case they dont breed well. Best to start with medium size mice. Older mice dont breed as good and have less pups. I also have a community cage that I keep feeders in so I dont have to take any out of my breeder cages. Also something I would say is very important. Try to keep males (adult) in seperate cages, because with females present they will fight, and most likely kill the weeker younger males. If they are raised together (siblings) they will be fine. Sorry this was so long, but I got carried away. If you need any more advise, just ask.

cornsnake234
07-07-2004, 06:43 PM
I know it's a stupid question but... can mice use their teeth to make a hole in the sterilite tub and then escape!? i want to breed my own mices soon, and i was wondering about that!! :shrugs:

Thx for replies

Amanda E
07-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Yes they can eat through the plastic. If there are any ridges that they can get hold of they will chew right through.

SexyHero
07-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Most sterilite i have seen dont have ridges, so you would probably be okay. :) Rubbermaid has lots of indentions they could chew though! :)

Milleniumtat2
07-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Yes they can chew through where ridges are, but the sterilite containers I am currently using only have ridges on the lids, which are pretty high up, and most of them cut out for the screen mesh insert. I have had no problem with them escaping, but as I said in previous post I still plan on changing to all glass aquariums. Good luck