• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ibd

Sparrow

Hello Everyone Im new to this forum. Ive been reading it for the last few days, and I really appreciate the knowledge that I've been getting from it.

Anyway on to my topic..

My fiancee just bought a baby ball python 2 weeks ago (from a local pet store). Come to find out that the snake has IBD (inclusion body diesease) So he had to have it euthanized. My main concern is that My corn snakes could become infected. I have heard that corn snakes can carry it but do not show symptoms. Since it is an air bourne virus or can be carried through handling. Is there anything that I should do besides washing my hands after every interaction? (I havent held my snakes since we've found out)
My other concern was about its terrarium. Will I ever be able to use it again and is there anyway to disinfect it?

The only thing I can say right now. Is that we will never be buying a snake from a pet store again, and will now only buy from breeders. My fiancee called the store we bought the ball python from, trying to warn them about their other snakes that could be infected. They really didnt care though. Which is a very sad thing.

Sorry for such a long post. I would appreciate any comments!
-Sparrow

If I recall correctly, only boids (boas and pythons) can contract the disease, so your corns should be fine. I wouldn't use that cage for ANY animal until you wash it down with a bleach/water solution, just incase the ball python had other infectious diseases. I also wouldn't EVER use it again to house a boid, as I believe that even bleach doesn't kill it, so it could still infect another boid.

After washing it with the bleach solution and rinsing it, let it sit out in the sun to dry. The sun, I've read, has powers to get rid of germs as well (through UV exposure?).

Thank You for the quick reply. I really appreciate it. I will disinfect the tank immediatly and will not house any boids in it again. Thank you again! This forum has been a major help to me.

-Sparrow

cleaning

i don't know anything about IBD or any snake diseases........
but i do know that in the human world bleach used in 1 cup to 1 gallon of water will disinfect almost anything.....if that IBD is a fungus or a spore you will most likely need something besides bleach.
the sun will defentenly help kill funguses and spores
use HOT water and let it soak for at least 20 minutes 30 is better for the bleach to do it's germ killing job.

good luck
Red

Back