PDA

View Full Version : Rescue with a URI

Rescue with a URI

alexispaige
04-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Just rescued a gorgeous 3 yr old caramel corn today. He is active, though wheezes heavily with every breath and opens his mouth every now and then to breathe. The pet store I saved him from was family owned and after visiting twice a week and complaining constantly to the manager he finally gave me the snake for free. They have had him for over a year now with no hide, too small of a space, and extreme humidity and heat (which I think caused the URI!!)

I was wondering if any home URI remedies have worked for you guys?? I have read about using Vicks vapor rub and eucalyptus essential oils in a "steam box". I have the heat around 90 on one side of the enclosure as well.

I'm also worried that the aspen I have him on now will exacerbate this? In the shop he was on cypress mulch I believe. I've read some places that the aspen can be too "dusty".

Any suggestions? I want to avoid antibiotics at all costs, though I have a vet on speed dial if this worsens haha. No bubbles yet, and he seems very active.. According to the store he hasn't ever refused food. Thanks everyone!

kc261
04-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Most people seem to recommend white paper towels or maybe unprinted newsprint as a "hospital" substrate. Some aspen can be very dusty, so I think you are right to be concerned about that.

As far as home treatment for an RI and whether or not attempting to treat it that way is advisable, I'll let people with more expertise answer.

Good for you for rescuing him, and managing to do it in a way that the pet store didn't make a profit off the situation. I hope he recovers for you.

Myca
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
What a shame. Since you have such good persuasion skills, find a snake vet in your area to help you with your 'rescue'. Make sure you highlight 'rescue' to this vet. Maybe he or she will donate medical care to your snake. It sure sounds like you saved it in the nick of time. Maybe at the very least the vet will take some of the fee off. Poor snake. It is terrible not to be able to breath.

alexispaige
04-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Most people seem to recommend white paper towels or maybe unprinted newsprint as a "hospital" substrate. Some aspen can be very dusty, so I think you are right to be concerned about that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll switch out his bedding in the morning, I don't want to stress him out too much as it is a new habitat for him.

And Myca, that's a great suggestion! I will take him to the vet if his condition worsens, but I never thought of trying to get discounted services because he's a rescue haha, that might work!!

rrowdy
04-26-2013, 11:31 PM
I think the best course of action is to take him to a Herp Vet. URI
can go really bad quickly especially when the snake is stressed from a chenge of habitat.
A nice Caramel Corn is definately worth the effort and expense.

Good luck to you!