PDA

View Full Version : What did he do to it?

What did he do to it?

Chromatic Corns
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
I purchased this snake today and held it and saw no issues. The guy popped it to sex it and told me female. Brought her home and decided to snap some pics before quarantine and noticed she is really really swelled right before the vent and this dried looking piece was sticking out? What the hell happened when s/he was popped? Is it really a boy and now he has an injured hemipenes? What should I do now? The picture quality sucks but I didn't want to stress him any more. I will take new pics though if needed.

Buzzard
04-27-2013, 04:57 PM
How old is the snake? hatchling? yearling? If small hatchling popping is usually okay but you can do some damage if not done properly. If yearling and was popped instead of probed then there might have been some damage done. Black material could be necrotic tissue (due to blood loss) or fecal material - cant really tell from pictures. You might try a warm bath and see if it helps with the swelling and possible retraction of hemipenes if male. Make sure to keep the infected area as clean as possible (do not put on aspen, bark, etc. instead use paper towel) and if the swelling does not go down in 24 hours seek the help of a vet immediately. Would also recommend contacting the seller to let them know what is going on.

Tara80
04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh no! I hope it's not a damaged hemipene but that would make sense if the store owner was sexing incorrectly, it's easy to do.

I'd put him on some damp paper towels and put some sort neosporin on it or iodine. I think there are a few threads around here somewhere with damage hemipenes and care but it.
If it looks like he's too swollen or that it is getting worse, I'd definitely call a vet.

Chromatic Corns
04-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Snake is a yearling. I put neosporin on and he's on paper towels. Also emailed the vendor. I'm going to soak her tonight, should I add something to the water?

Nanci
04-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Poor thing...The tail looks very female to me. THat snake was _way_ too big to pop safely.

Chromatic Corns
04-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Glad it appears female, it'll will be quite a while before she sees a probe now. She is a lavender ghost and I was so happy to find her, now I feel awful for her. At least I know she'll be cared for now.

Nanci
04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
You just aren't going to know for sure until you probe her. Does it look better after soaking?

AliCat37
04-27-2013, 09:39 PM
The last picture even makes the snake looked bruised like the guy used too much force. :( hope he will be okay

Chromatic Corns
04-27-2013, 09:54 PM
I soaked her and she was able to poop. The protrusion looks slightly better but she is still swollen. I put antibiotic on again. I'll soak her again in the morning. If it's not improving by Monday I'm calling the vet.

Myca
04-28-2013, 01:48 AM
These always happen on weekends.

Chromatic Corns
04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Looks the same today, I'm soaking her again

Guruofchem
04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
:dunce:

The dude that popped your snake had no business doing so on a yearling - REALLY hoping he hasn't injured your poor snake through ignorance...

dave partington
04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
So the sales rep damaged the your new pet but still managed it out the door quickly
you should get it back to the store with the snake and let them make it right
right now
now
days ago
before more time lapses

Guruofchem
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
So the sales rep damaged the your new pet but still managed it out the door quickly
you should get it back to the store with the snake and let them make it right
right now
now
days ago
before more time lapses

Dave is always concise and straight to the point - and is also absolutely correct. Go back to the store and light em up...

Chromatic Corns
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Wasn't a store, vendor at the Hamburg Reptile Expo but I did email... no response yet but I know he goes to Maryland expo so I'll be visiting him there with some yelling to do if he doesn't respond.
Here is an update :
She shed yesterday during her soak and has pooped 3x now. Doesn't have the bruised look that she did, the dried up piece is gone but still swollen(though not as mush). It appears to be the rectum that is inflammed. I wonder if it wasn't the popping, could he have closed the lid on her when putting her in the container at first? This snake is sooooo ridiculously good for all she's going through ~ pics, soaks, oitnment application. She never shies away and calmly investigates my hands and arms during handling. I wonder if she's really this nice or just too hurt to care.

smigon
01-30-2014, 03:38 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering how she is doing? Did you ever hear from the breeder?

germanshepherd
04-14-2014, 01:15 PM
was wondering myself how she was doing. I was thinking of going to the hamburg show next week but I heard it gets very crowded and I do not like crowds.