PDA

View Full Version : Hatchling regurge question

Hatchling regurge question

hockeystop
07-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Does the 10 day rule apply to hatchlings?

Neumann
07-06-2004, 09:57 AM
As far as I know it does. The 10 day rule is used to allow a snake to heal from the upchuck of powerful acids and enzymes and recoup the ones it lost during the regurge. I believe this would apply to a snake of any age.

mattsnake
07-06-2004, 12:13 PM
You do not necessarily have to wait 10 days, its more of just a guidline. If you think that the snake regurged just because the meal was to large, I would go ahead and feed it on the next planned feeding day.

hockeystop
07-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Thank you for the replies. It wasn't because it was too large Matt. Initially I thought that was the case since I fed it a medium anole, after he refused everything else I offered. The anole wasnt very big around, but it was rather long for him. He held it down 2 days then ack, stench coming from the cage. I thought it was due to size so five days later I fed him a newborn pinkie scented, which he also wolfed down, but he regurged it the following day. I think its defintely a stomach acid thing. ALthough I wasnt sure if hatchlings recovered faster or not since his appetite is defintely there.

Taceas
07-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I've had that trouble from anole's as well from my non-feeders last year. They were too long to really fit in the stomach of the hatchlings and the skin is so much tougher to digest than mouse pink skin.

My remedy was to cut extremely long anoles into 1-1.5" pieces. It helps if you're using frozen anoles. Just cut them diagonally and let them thaw like that. That way the snake has a point to eat from which is easier for them to eat. It also helps the digestion to help the acids/enzymes to reach the inner tissues of the anole.

If the anole is small enough to be fed whole, cut the head and tail off closest to the body and make a slit in the belly. Save the head in the freezer for when you're trying to convert it from anoles to mice. Just swab a pink around in the mouth of the anole and try to feed.

I wait 10 days for ALL regurges, no matter the cause. Regurging for any snake is stressful and compromises the acids in the stomach. Usually if I try to rush the issue, I'll end up with another regurge. =/

hockeystop
07-16-2004, 04:04 PM
10 days did the trick!