PDA

View Full Version : Can I use these rat pinkies?

Can I use these rat pinkies?

kurasumi
05-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I came by some rat pinkies in a trade today and was wondering if they would be alright to feed to my corn if I cut them down to size or something? They're significantly larger than the mouse pinkies I've been feeding him but I was a little more worried about nutritional value than I was size.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2czc554.jpg

I only have the three, so I won't be transitioning permanently to rats as a food source.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chip
05-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Rat pinks are fine, albeit a bit fatty, and having FAR less bone (calcium) than a similar sized mouse. How close to being big enough to eat them is your corn? Maybe freeze them until they can be swallowed?

kurasumi
05-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Rat pinks are fine, albeit a bit fatty, and having FAR less bone (calcium) than a similar sized mouse. How close to being big enough to eat them is your corn? Maybe freeze them until they can be swallowed?

I haven't been home yet to compare the size of my corn to the size of the rat pinkies, but should be able to do that in about an hour or so. Just so I know I'm correct in my information, the rule is that they can eat anything that is 1.5x the girth of their widest point, right?

Do you think it would be a good idea to feed him a rat pinkie and then a mouse pinkie for on his next meal day, and alternate like that so he's getting his calcium?

Chip
05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Nope, one low calcium meal is not a problem. A diet of them could be, but alternate them until they are gone and you should be fine. And yes, 1.5 is a rule of thumb, though an XS mouse pink can be 2-3X the width of a hatchling and that seldom is a problem.

Nanci
05-02-2013, 05:47 AM
A rat pink is WAY bigger than a mouse pink, though. It's something a 30-40 gram corn would be eating.

Chip
05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Big Cheese's rat pinks are as small as 3 grams and as big as 11 (in the same bag.) Looking at the picture, I'd guess those are around 5 or 6. How much does your snake weigh, Kurasumi? And can you weight those pinks?