• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hunger Strike

jld333

My 3.5 yr old male Okeetee has not eaten for 7 weeks. I know it is that time of the year. When should I be concerned, after how many weeks?

Some of them just take a while to snap out of it, I would only worry if he's lost a lot of weight/condition. Try pinkies, they usually go for those.

My ghost hasn't eaten either in as many weeks. I let him mate. He's calmed way down an went into a shed cycle. He usually eats after a shed.

One of my males has been on a hunger strike as well. Each week I offer him an appropriately sized prey item and when he doesn't take it, then I offer him something small, which he usually takes. (Luckily I have multiple snakes, so usually his uneaten mouse goes to another snake.)

Mine just finished up a 1 month hunger strike. I wouldn't be worried unless they start to get super thin, which can take several months.
In the wild they wouldn't get a mouse every time they hunt, so it's not harmful to them if they miss a couple of meals.

Mine went on a hunger strike for about six weeks, ate a small meal, went on a hunger strike for another three attempts, and just ate for me again, so. They will eat when they're -really- hungry. Don't worry unless he's getting thin.

Rat pups or hairless mice have worked before. And failed, but they have worked before! Good luck, and don't lose any sleep. I have had hoggies go off feed for a calendar year and go back to feeding. Uneaten food is why we own king snakes and alligator snappers. :)

Rat pups or hairless mice have worked before. And failed, but they have worked before! Good luck, and don't lose any sleep. I have had hoggies go off feed for a calendar year and go back to feeding. Uneaten food is why we own king snakes and alligator snappers. :)

I"m reading it but you wrote a whole year for your hog?

More than one hog has gone off feed that long. Right as they got so thin I thought about euthanizing, most snapped back into feeding mode. I do think brumation helps in these extreme cases, but I haven't dealt with enough to say for sure.

My 3.5 yr old male Okeetee has not eaten for 7 weeks. I know it is that time of the year. When should I be concerned, after how many weeks?

I've had a male blizzard go off for 3 months with no ill effects. I've also had a female snow go off for bit over 2 months. Both were back in 2009 and haven't any irregular hunger strikes with any of my corns since then.

More than one hog has gone off feed that long. Right as they got so thin I thought about euthanizing, most snapped back into feeding mode. I do think brumation helps in these extreme cases, but I haven't dealt with enough to say for sure.

Right now i have 2 females going on 89 and 79 days since there last meals. They are thinning out. I've thought brumation but not so sure if they would survive a short 6-8 week cool down. I'm trying different things from scenting to humidity and substrate but nothing so far.

I personally wouldn't brumate in mid summer. One thing that seems to help is put them in a smaller container than usual. I have had more than one go back on feed when moved to a shoebox at 200-300 grams, or 15 quart for really big girls. Again, this may have nothing to do with it, but I had noticed a few going off feed when moved up a tub size, so I've been experimenting with anything I can think of. Also rat fuzzies or hairless mice *might* help. Rubbing live fish on them has worked when even toad scenting wouldn't -but as with all things hognose, not always! I wish you luck, keep us posted.

Have you taken him to a vet? You're over 12 weeks now, I'd be getting worried for a corn.

Try Live food( if you havent already). This usually works for us. I had one last year go 115 days before I tryed live and he snapped out of it... Good Luck

Buzz

I'd try a small, super-hot mouse, first, like a hopper. Maybe even a fuzzy. Then I'd try a rat pink.

Nanci, what do you mean by super hot? Also where I live the only live I can buy are white mice. Nobody sells rodents. I buy my frozen from the local reptile show that comes every other month. I only own the one snake so I only have the one size of feeder.

Back