PDA

View Full Version : My snake isn't eating

My snake isn't eating

Thorn
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
So my wife and I have a pretty corn snake that was given to us a few months ago. He began eating pretty regularly; however, he has now gone the last almost 3 weeks without eating despite us offering a mouse each week.

He's an adult, though I don't know his exact age. He seems to be healthy other than not eating lately, but I was wondering if it was normal to go that long? (it's also frustrating as it's a waste of food ;) )

Any advice? Should I leave the lamp off and keep it darker so he has some privacy? He seems to mostly ignore it lately and will bask right next to it. (maybe he's tired of pet smart frozens?)

When I got him, he'd down 2 medium mice at a time every 8-10 days, but lately he's gotten a lot pickier.

RoseRed
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm still new at this but I'll try to help.

While it is late in the breeding season, I wouldn't eliminate the possibility that he would rather make baby corn snakes than eat.

For non-breeding corn snakes, I have heard that 1 adult mouse every 14 or so days is best, 2 may be too much.

I would check his temps and make sure they are correct, it may help to give him a little privacy in the dark.

I hope that helps.

Janome
05-17-2013, 08:51 PM
He sounds like he might be going into a shed cycle. 3 weeks of not eating is nothing to worry about. They often go off feed when entering shed cycles. I also agree he might be wanting to mate. I have a male ghost corn that hasn't eaten in couple months. He's been all over his cage so I finally gave in an put my normal / zigzag patterened female in with him so they could mate. (She was going nuts too!) they have both settled down. Gone into shed cycles an I'm hoping to have some eggs too here soon. :)

beautifullywild77
05-17-2013, 09:18 PM
It depends on how big he is to how far apart I would feed. I have an adult corn who is on a feeding strike right now going on 6wks. He is very active and wants some loving. (he gets no nookie) He is about 6 or 7 years old.

I would try to feed him every two weeks while on the feeding strike but wouldn't worry too much.

Thorn
05-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Thank you guys for your help. He did shed this week. A good clean shed at that (took hims over 72 hours though since seeing his cloudy eyes). He seems to be moving around and looking healthy despite not having eaten in 4 weeks now. I tried feeding him again after the shed but no luck yet. I'm thinking all the moving around this weekend, as we cleaned his tank out good and put fresh bedding in, may have just made him nervous for a few days. I'll try again this weekend.

Caryl
05-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Good news. :-) How old is your snake? I know it's worrisome, but a healthy snake can go four weeks without food and have no ill effects. You're probably right about the cleaning making him nervous. Some of them seem to feel that they're in new surroundings when they're thoroughly cleaned, and need 2-3 days of being left alone just as if they were new arrivals. (I'm assuming your cleaning products were snake-friendly.)

diamondlil
05-31-2013, 05:57 AM
It depends on how big he is to how far apart I would feed. I have an adult corn who is on a feeding strike right now going on 6wks. He is very active and wants some loving. (he gets no nookie) He is about 6 or 7 years old.

I would try to feed him every two weeks while on the feeding strike but wouldn't worry too much.
Good advice! Males often just can't eat when they are in breeding mode

palmiro
06-13-2013, 05:50 AM
i have the same situation, but it's been 2 months now! healthy, very active cornsnake on feeding strike from so long now! should i worry?
i tried to feed him yesterday again, but nothing... he's scared/not interested

HELP!