PDA

View Full Version : In between food sizes!

In between food sizes!

Motley Sunglow
05-22-2013, 10:56 AM
whats the best way to feed my snake two F/T per meal?? He was eating one adult mouse a week but its barely noticable when hes ingested it and it only takes him minutes. I just bought some small rats for him from the pet store because they were the only thing i could find that was similar in size to the mice i was given by the previous owner. I was told to introduce the second mouse/rat to him right after the first?? Do i just lay it down in front of him after he has the first almost gone??

RoseRed
05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
I assume this is an adult snake. Adult snakes need 1 adult mouse every 14 days or so. As adults their metabolism slows down, thus they no longer need large food item as they did when they were younger. A corn has no need to eat rats, due to the high amount of fat. Remember you don't want your corn getting too chunky ;)

AliCat37
05-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Once they are on adult mice you no longer need to follow the "food lump" rule. Don't feed rats often, they will make your snake fat. One adult mouse a week, or every other week is fine.

Motley Sunglow
05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
both my snakes are adult males. i was instructed to feed the full grown male (2.5 yrs old)a med rat once a week. I have moved to a 10 day feeding cycle with him. I was given a couple large mice for the smaller snake (1.5 yrs old) to eat. When matching food sizes at Super Pet the closest match to the mouse i was given was a small rat. The adult mice i was shown were much smaller then what i was given and i cant see a single mouse that size satisfying either snake. I think my snakes would eventually wither away and die on a single adult mouse! atleast the ones from Super Pet.