PDA

View Full Version : Snake only drinks out of my hand

Snake only drinks out of my hand

ryand8
06-09-2013, 02:52 PM
So, I recently got an Albino Corn Snake whom I named Rhea. She's still very young, around 7 weeks.

Well, I've read up a lot on how snakes will always drink whilst no one was looking so you shouldn't have to worry, but I know some people will put them near water so they know where it is.

I tried that and the next thing I know she started gulping down water like no tomorrow. (It was pretty cute actually) I figured she now knew where it was so I shouldn't worry. Well, I tried again today and the exact same thing happened, I picked her up and let her settle in my hand -- then brought my hand near the waterbowl and she stretches her neck and just drinks for a good 10 seconds.

I don't mind doing this to make sure she drinks, but I'm worried she won't use the waterbowl when she needs to shed or something. Any ideas?

gsdbecca
06-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Maybe you should change her name to Princess. ;) I bet she will drink just fine when she needs.....but I'd probably enjoy the sweetness of her drinking from my hand if I were you. ha ha ha!

obboi34
06-09-2013, 04:34 PM
love when mine drink while perched on my hand.

ryand8
06-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeh well I wouldn't have any problem with it, but does this mean I'll have to be extra generous when misting her cage around the time she starts to shed?

Pitbullgirl16
06-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Where I live in Texas it averages 60-90% humidity, so I never have to worry about misting cages. I don't know the average humidity levels in Utah. Do you have a good hygrometer? A nice decent mist would certainly aid in the shedding if the humidity is low, but snakes act on instinct. Trust me, I'm sure she knows where the waterbowl is. If she feels she needs to soak, she'll do so.

ryand8
06-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Where I live in Texas it averages 60-90% humidity, so I never have to worry about misting cages. I don't know the average humidity levels in Utah. Do you have a good hygrometer? A nice decent mist would certainly aid in the shedding if the humidity is low, but snakes act on instinct. Trust me, I'm sure she knows where the waterbowl is. If she feels she needs to soak, she'll do so.

I used to live in Texas, but it definitely wasn't humid lol. Umm, as for the hygrometer, I don't really have one. Is that something I need to get?

All I have right now is 2 hides and a water bowl, a heatpad underneath one side, a heatlamp that I turn on during the day (to mimic day and night sorta) and a thermometer. I've noticed she spends pretty much all of her time on the cold side, even after feeding. Does that have any correlation?

gsdbecca
06-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think a hygrometer is a necessity. At least, I hope not. ;) I've had my girl almost a year and don't have one. Not problems.
I kind of think you are borrowing trouble. Personally, I'd wait and see if she has any problems shedding first. My snake never soaks. She obviously doesn't need to. Some do, some don't. If she has problems, you can soak her to get the rest of the shed off, and then next shed cycle you can put in a moist hide or check your humidity, etc.
That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

diamondlil
06-10-2013, 07:56 AM
I used to live in Texas, but it definitely wasn't humid lol. Umm, as for the hygrometer, I don't really have one. Is that something I need to get?

All I have right now is 2 hides and a water bowl, a heatpad underneath one side, a heatlamp that I turn on during the day (to mimic day and night sorta) and a thermometer. I've noticed she spends pretty much all of her time on the cold side, even after feeding. Does that have any correlation?
What temperature ranges are you getting? You may not need the lamp at all. Is the heatpad on a thermostat?

ryand8
06-10-2013, 06:38 PM
What temperature ranges are you getting? You may not need the lamp at all. Is the heatpad on a thermostat?

Nah, but I put it on the bottom of the cage and there's a pretty thick lair of Aspen that I have on top so if anything it just makes the bedding on that side warmish.

bkastel
06-10-2013, 08:03 PM
You were probably expecting this, but I would strongly suggest you buy a thermostat to regulate the heat-pad. If your snake ever burrows to the bottom of the tank (which they like to do, at least in my experience), the temperature beneath the aspen can be dangerous for her. Also, the heat-lamp may be unnecessary -- it might actually be making the enclosure too dry, and warmer than it needs to be. Could be why she prefers the cool side.

Becca58
06-11-2013, 01:06 AM
I'd wait and see if she has any problems shedding first. My snake never soaks. She obviously doesn't need to.

We have four corns, and we live in South Carolina. Because of the air conditioning we give a nod to the humidity, but we have a weather station in the same room with the snakes. Of the four, one - Squeak - loves to dive into his bowl and completely submerge himself in the days leading up to a shed. It's funny to watch! The other snakes act as if you're trying to kill them if you even aim them at the water. Go figure.

diamondlil
06-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Nah, but I put it on the bottom of the cage and there's a pretty thick lair of Aspen that I have on top so if anything it just makes the bedding on that side warmish.
Without regulation a heatpad alone, without the light, can get hot enough to kill your snake. Directly through burns, or indierectly by raising the temperature so high there is neurological damage. With a good setup and proper care a corn can live 15-20 years, so investing in proper equipment is the owners responsability.

AliCat37
06-11-2013, 07:42 AM
And a thick layer of aspen doesn't matter since the snake is able to burrow. Get rid of the heat lamp and get a thermostat for the heat pad ASAP.