PDA

View Full Version : Empty tank syndrome

Empty tank syndrome

Ronda
07-09-2004, 03:34 PM
If you had an empty 55 gallon aquarium to play with, what would you put inside? Some type of arboreal snake? Something else?

I'm bored with my fish but would like to keep the tank as a nice display in my living room. Frogs and lizards are out because I really don't want to do the cricket thing again (although I'd love a semi-aquatic tank full of fire-belly toads). I think a small turtle or tortoise would be too time consuming. So... That leaves snakes. Oh darn. :)

Just curious what y'all would use the tank for.

CrazyCorn
07-09-2004, 05:11 PM
My first response would be a small species of monitor (Ackie, Timor, etc..) but since you don't want any lizards I guess I would get an asian rat snake of sorts, probably a Spilotes a.k.a Tiger Rat (My favorite) or Red-Tailed Green Rat, heck a Mandarin would be nice. How about a killer looking Bull or Pine? Those would be my choices, I know how you feel with that 'Empty Tank Syndrome', I get it a lot.

Amanda E
07-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Well, I already know you have a bunch of Asian rats, so I second the red-tailed green rat. You should already have the knowledge to keep it and the fiestyness should also be a no biggy, with already owning Cave Dwellers.

Now the problem would just be finding one that isn't a new import, unless you don't mind imports.

Ronda
07-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about a red-tailed green rat. Good idea! I think a somewhat arboreal species is the way to go. I was contemplating Amazon tree boas, but I don't have any experience with them and am not sure if they would outgrow the tank or not. Yeah, the feisty attitude is no big deal. Between the cave dwelling rats and Hog Island boas... I always have gloves handy! I actually have a pair of tree boas (Sanzinia) but they didn't do well in a larger, arboreal set-up so back into the shoeboxes they went. Maybe when they are a little bigger...

carol
07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
I'd stick a Cave Dweller in there, they are just amazing to look at.