PDA

View Full Version : First regurg...

First regurg...

Kitten0Face
06-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I am worried! I have had Nagichi for over a month, almost 2. He has been an enthusiastic eater since day 1. He typically lunges after his food and eats quickly.

He shed about 12 days ago while I was asleep, but the shed was all in one piece and everything seemed fine.

Yesterday when i went to feed him (not the fist time since the shed...) he lazily sniffed the food and took half hearted nips at it. He crawled around it and out his mouth on it, (a pinkie) and just sat there with 1\8th of it in his mouth.

He spat it out, and when I went to put him back in the viv, he slowly started eating it. I was going to take him out and toss the pinkie, but I figured if he wanted to try I should let him. I came home from work today and saw he regurged. it barely looked digested at all.

Help??

Kat_Dog
06-11-2013, 08:40 PM
You need to follow the regurge protocol.
It's at the lower half of this post:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Don't try to feed him right away, you have to wait a few days with the smallest pinkie you can find. Try coating it with Nutribac too, it replenishes the natural bacteria the snake lost during the regurge. These bacteria are necessary for digestion. Kathy love sells it on her site: http://cornutopia.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=52
There's also a few other places that sell it.

Make sure your temps are correct and that you thaw your mice 100%
Temps that are too high/low can easily cause regurges.

Kitten0Face
06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Thank you, I will definitely check that out. So it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary? I just don't want to miss a larger problem. Is 77-87 tr correct temp range? That's what I've been going by. Should I get a humidity one? I had been reading humidity isn't as important for corn snakes.

Alicia P
06-11-2013, 11:30 PM
As long as your snake is shedding fine I wouldn't worry about humidity. Where are you measuring your temps at & what kind of thermometer do you use?

BloodyBaroness
06-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Thank you, I will definitely check that out. So it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary? I just don't want to miss a larger problem. Is 77-87 tr correct temp range? That's what I've been going by. Should I get a humidity one? I had been reading humidity isn't as important for corn snakes.

Basic questions:

How are you measuring the temps?

Is your heat mat regulated?

Kitten0Face
06-12-2013, 12:07 AM
It's a digital gauge with a probe. I put it right down at the base of the viv. I have a basic zoomed 10g uth.

BloodyBaroness
06-12-2013, 08:32 AM
How are you regulating the heat mat?

A heat mat with no thermostat/rheostat on it will get upwards of 100 degrees plus.

The probe for the thermometer should be right on the glass, under the substrate, above the heater.

Kitten0Face
06-12-2013, 11:24 AM
That's where I have it located. Mine hasn't gotten that hot. When it's gotten to 87 on hot days I unplug it until the temp evens out a bit. Because of that I never got a rheostat. Was that a bad choice?

BloodyBaroness
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
I believe the unstable temps may be the root issue here.

This will make a world of difference for you and snake.

Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S)

That is the most cost effective and dependable regulator under $50. I currently have 4 of these in use on tanks and love them.

For my racks I use: Vivarium Electronics VE-100 (http://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-100)

Kitten0Face
06-14-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm going to pick that up. He has been hiding all the time. What if he just had a bad mouse? Will he get too hungry if I wait until next Friday to feed him again?

BloodyBaroness
06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
No. follow that regurge protocol that was linked. He needs a full cycle to help his gut flora rebuild.

Kitten0Face
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the help!

Kitten0Face
06-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have some nutribac they could sell to me? Everywhere I've found is out of stock... None of the stores by me seem to carry it, and online everywhere is out, or outside the US. I can't wait 2 weeks to get it... I want to try feeding him this week. Any suggestions or help?

HVani
06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
My little guy regurged after I jumped up in food size too fast. I also could not find nutribac so I went without. I waited the full 10 days fed him then TOTALLY left him alone until his next meal time. He was just fine and has been doing great since then. If you can't find the nutribac then just follow the protocol and he should be fine.

Alicia P
06-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Try www.beanfarm.com