PDA

View Full Version : Can Kinking happen after hatching?

Can Kinking happen after hatching?

antsterr
07-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Is kinking something that happens in the egg only or can a corn come out fine and kink up afterword?
I ask because I inspect each hatching pretty closely after they hatch, I've hatched about 50 this year and all seemed well. However, I went to feed one small clutch for the first time this year and found one of them is severely kinked, enough that I don't know how I could have missed it. Can they come out looking fine and then king up afterwords? I assume kinking is caused by their vertebrae forming/becoming fused together or is it more than a backbone problem?

crackerhead
07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, kinking can happen after hatch. It is usually caused by some kind of physical trauma such as getting a tail crimped in a lid. Those non-trauma kinks that develop after birth are usually caused by an underlying malformation of the spine that is exacerbated by poor health (ie. regurging, not eating, malabsorption of essential nutrients, etc.)
It has also been noted that some kinks are not noticeable at birth but grow more pronounced over time. Short of an x-ray of the spine most of us would miss these tiny anomalies.

Terri

5 Star Serpents
07-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I've had a few do that this season, most were from a rather doomed clutch as it was, but one baby hatched with only 1 noticeable kink but within 48 hours it was literally kinked into a circle a few of the other babies were very badly kinked to begin with (d*mn lavender genes!!). It was a risky clutch to start with and it just went downhill in a hurry. I assume that the spine already had issues when it hatched just not enough to make them noticeable at the time. These babies that kinked up like that died in my hands from what I'm guessing was a heart attack, it was BRUTAL and hard to go through, absolutely heart breaking...that pair will NEVER meet again!

antsterr
07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8wZSCyC7X1k/UdYyq9VfBiI/AAAAAAAAAww/aKiEqdFZCCg/w702-h101-no/P1070497.JPG

It's hard to see the kinks in the picture, but this fellow has four of them down his back, each one is a sharp twist to the side and divots down into his back leaving him look squished in places. The one on the left is easiest to see, then there is one right in the middle and two nearer to his head. I guess that's why they lay so many eggs, not every one turns out healthy :(

Chip
07-04-2013, 11:49 PM
OUCH! It's not hard at all to see the kinks in the picture, those kinks are horrible! That poor baby. I'm sorry for you.

crackerhead
07-05-2013, 11:51 AM
The animal looks like it has a deformed cranium (domed head) as well. Bummer.

Terri

antsterr
07-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Hmm, I've never had to put down a snake before. Every other one who's died on me, I fought to the end to keep them alive. :( Well, I'll search the threads here for the most human way. I'm guessing a crushed skull is the rout I'll go.

Chip
07-06-2013, 12:37 AM
I usually opt for a big predator for babies, either kingsnakes or alligator snappers. Stopping brain function quickly as possible is paramount though, if you have someone who won't be so bothered by it, have them do the "deed."

5 Star Serpents
07-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Anthony, I have to agree with Chip on the predator option if you have any kings, it's a bit hard to take though too honestly. I find it much easier than any other options though as it's actually natural.

antsterr
07-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Nope, no kings. My RES turtle would probably be happy to rips this little guys limb from limb (so to speak). That probably I'll line up a good hammer blow against concert and crush his head.
Thanks for the support folks. i put down many animals before but for some reason putting down this snake is a little more emotional.

Chip
07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I've been breeding for many years, and it hasn't gotten any easier. Sorry for what you're going through.

Zombiegirl
07-06-2013, 05:51 PM
My little lavender Omnom is kinked...he has at least 7 that I can feel. The one that is visible to the eye is in his neck area behind his head...the rest you can feel when he moves through your fingers. I posted a thread on here with pictures of some x-rays I took a while ago.

Zombiegirl
07-06-2013, 05:52 PM
When I bought him I was only aware of the one neck kink...after I handled him a bit more the rest of the body kinks were obvious...he is lucky...he can eat ok (takes a while to get the mouse past his neck kink but after that he has no issues), poops ok and has quite the 'tude...I'm sorry about this little one :(