PDA

View Full Version : Delete entire message?

Delete entire message?

Susan
07-12-2004, 07:32 AM
I tried testing attachment sizes...found the limits (146.5 KB per attachment...used all 5 attachments with a total KB over 146.5...and it worked)...tried to delete the entire message since I didn't want to waste site space, but when I clicked on the Edit button (which also mentions "delete"), I could edit the message, remove all the attachments, but didn't see an actual "delete" button ANYWHERE! I tried just "erasing" all the text, but it said I needed at least 5 characters.

Since Rich requests that everyone delete their message under Sales when the animals are sold, he's going to find alot still there if no one can easily find out how to delete the message, or it can't be done now.

Rich Z
07-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Everything is a tradeoff, it seems.

The problem with allowing users to delete entire threads is that this also gives them the power to delete posts other users have made as replies within that thread. Should I allow that? Is that fair to those people who posted those replies?

carol
07-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I had the same problem even on the old forum, I tried to delete some threads I started in the "for sale" section and it said was not authorized.

Susan
07-12-2004, 02:16 PM
I fully understand not being able to delete a post with replies, but we used to be able to delete a post with no replies, or a reply alone if no one else replied after us. Just trying to keep the space used to a minimum by eliminating unnecessary stuff.

Rich Z
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, I just went in and checked the permissions set for the For Sale and Wanted forums, and all registered users can edit and delete their individual messages as WELL as a thread that they start themselves.

So, you should have been able to delete your threads earlier, as I did not have to change a thing there.