PDA

View Full Version : Dry, flaky head scales

Dry, flaky head scales

gsdbecca
07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
My girl is having some sort of issue, and I'm stumped. Here's the info and below are the best pics I could get. In two of them, I circled the areas of concern.

Last Friday (feeding day), I noticed the scale over her right eye was partially up. While she was eating (she's all business when it comes to food), I flicked at it with my finger nail and it easily came off.

I wasn't too worried at this point, just decided to keep an eye on things. Well, last couple days, I've noticed some more flaking up (actually the same over-the-eye scale just on the other side now), and some scales around her nose that just look dry and shrived.

She has not gone blue recently. I would not have missed it. I know her shedding pattern like the back of my hand. She has not gone blue!

Her last shed and all others have been perfect.

I don't check humidity because I live in South Florida and never imagined that humidity would be an issue. But she is in air conditioning, but we don't keep it terribly cold (76-78). Temps are between 76-78 on the low side and high side I maintain at 85.

Oh last thing, I soaked her this morning to check for mites. And that's not it.

Any ideas? Here are the pics. I know they aren't terribly helpful.

HVani
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM
When I first got my snake he had the exact same thing. I never really figured out what it was but it resolved itself the next time he shed. He's never had an issue since then.

Blackice
07-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I remember reading that ticks get a hold beneath scales and that it should look like raised scales. Can you see if there are any parasites under those scales?

gsdbecca
07-10-2013, 07:20 PM
There wasn't anything under the one I scrapped (for lack of a better word; I certainly wasn't rough with her) off. If it's a parasite, it's microscopic. I've checked her over and over. I wish she would go into the blue and shed so I can see if that clears it up. I don't know how long I should wait. I'll contact our breeder, and see if she thinks it sounds alarming. She lives close and her kids' dad lives in my neighborhood. So, I could easily sweet talk her into coming and taking a look. I just know that she has a brand new grandbaby, so I'm trying not to bother her if it's no big deal.