PDA

View Full Version : New owner. Yearling refused to eat.

New owner. Yearling refused to eat.

blueroses4u2000
07-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Hello everyone. 2 days ago I bought my first cornsnake who is 12 months old. I bought him from a reputable reptile centre and he is in great condition. I have set up his Vivarium to the correct specs and provided a hide , water and temp gradient as advised. I was adviced to feed weekly a med mouse and today was the day! I gave him the mouse and placed it on a stone and returned the corn to the viv. He wont eat it! He has seen it but just ignored it . I tried it with and without the hide in the viv. He just went in his hide when it was in....and cruised around ignoring the mouse when the hide was out. Any ideas or suggestions. He looks well fed previously and does not look about to shed. Thank you Blue

Jicin
07-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Well i asked a lot of dealers when i should give my baby snake his first feeding and they all replied a week. Longer if it would shed in the mean time. To get adjusted to his new enviroment. Yours is a year old. I think you should wait a few more days and then try again. Snakes can go an awfull long time without food anyway.

Jicin

crossmen
07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Try feeding in a smaller container. We had a trouble feeder until we fed her in a small container never a problem since. It forces them to be in contact with the mouse. Mine eats in less than 10 minutes now but took as long as an hour early on. Some even feed in a small paper bag (put mouse and snake in the bag) in the viv that is taped or stapled shut. Also feed in the early morning or late evening when it is darker.
Good Luck and keep asking if those don't work there are lots more tricks but I would try these first.
Peace Paul

leia
07-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Try feeding in a smaller container. We had a trouble feeder until we fed her in a small container never a problem since. It forces them to be in contact with the mouse. Mine eats in less than 10 minutes now but took as long as an hour early on. Some even feed in a small paper bag (put mouse and snake in the bag) in the viv that is taped or stapled shut. Also feed in the early morning or late evening when it is darker.
Good Luck and keep asking if those don't work there are lots more tricks but I would try these first.
Peace Paul

I do that too, my snake is about a year old, though he seems to be a slower grower. I put him in a quart container with the mouse, and close the lid.
Mine seems to prefer eating at night.
I would also sugest making sure the mouse is plenty warm, I thaw mine is hot water (mouse in baggie, baggie in mug of hot water). This simulates body temp of the mouse, and helps get the snake's attention.

Also since the guy is new to your place, he might not feel comfortable for a few more days.

krista2121
07-12-2004, 06:23 PM
I've never heard of putting the snake and mouse in a contianer or a bag. Is that wat your supposed to do? What I do is just dangle it infront of him and when he lunges for it I give it to him. Is that ok to do?

blueroses4u2000
07-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I now have to report that while I was busy typing out my question....the corn was eating ! :-) Phew!

MegF.
07-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Yes Krista, if your snake will take it that way, it's fine. Just make sure you're not feeding him where the snake can pick up and ingest substrate. My amel is nicknamed Orca, cuz she'll leap out of the feeder box to get her mouse. She's very enthusiastic! :eatsmiley: My Aztec is very shy though, so she likes to be in a small dark area in her viv.