PDA

View Full Version : Fat. Really Fat.

Fat. Really Fat.

Brainmurk
07-24-2013, 09:19 PM
So my little baby Kyoshi has been with me since 'round the end of March, and I estimate he's probably about six months old. He's had four sheds while in my care, one of which was kind of rough but we were going through a heat/dry spell and his tank humidity had dropped, and he got all the bits of skin off, it was just chunky.

...and speaking on chunky, boy he sure seems to be, which is why I'm posting today. Right now he weighs 30g and is roughly 22inches long. He is visibly quite pudgy:

http://i.imgur.com/usWaNLm.jpg
Very stout.

http://i.imgur.com/QdiakZ1.jpg
His fatness is most apparent near his vent, as you can see in this photo. The 'taper' area is very sudden, and in comparison his little tail area is so thin!

The photos are just a little exaggerated because right after I took the tail end / vent picture he had a huge poop on me, but comparing it's still pretty close.

Right now he's on a fuzzy every week, and we just moved him up - previously he was on two pinkies a week, and he was digesting those in like 15 hours and was out hunting more as early as the next morning with no food bump even when feeling around. He's pooping like a champ and he's never regurged, should I just keep him on the same schedule and not worry so much about this? I take him out daily - sometimes more than once a day - for at least half an hour at a time and let him crawl around and explore my desk or just sit with me while I do my online work. He's pretty dang active, though.

Centexsnakes
07-24-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm new to corns and all I wanted to say was very pretty snake and I hope mine grows to be so pretty!

Chip
07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Your snake isn't fat at all. Looks like there is a fluid build-up near the tail. Expect poop and a shed.

Christen
07-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Yep Chip is right. That there is a poopy bulge. Expect poop soon.

Brainmurk
07-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Well, as I mentioned in my post, he pooped soon after I took the photo but the bulge is pretty much unchanged. He just shed like two days ago, though!

I guess I'll just keep feeding him as normal, if he looks good to you guys, though! This is my first snake so I have to panic over everything. :p

Chip
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
The first picture says everything, he's muscular and lean like most young corns. He's the picture of health -though from the photo, I'd have guessed him to be closer to 50 grams. Cameras can and do play tricks, so I would not dare declare your snake is twice the size your scales say, just sharing my guess at seeing the photo before reading a word... Either way, before about the 250-300 gram mark, corns just "can't" get fat. They use it in length, girth problems seem to always come after sexual maturity. But being vigilant now is wise!

Brainmurk
07-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Great! Thanks so much for your reply, you've been very reassuring! <3

obboi34
07-25-2013, 09:04 PM
i see a poop bulge. i worry a lot about my little one's weight too. ad an extra day between your feedings if you're worried, but you should be fine.