PDA

View Full Version : Strange bulge in snake

Strange bulge in snake

nicklandovich
07-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Hey everyone, need some input on something that has me worried. I have a female amel corn who is not even 8 months old yet. The problem is she has a large lump that looks roughlythe size of a pinky mouse after a feeding. It's been there about 2 weeks. She has been pooping and when held up to the light you can see a dark mass. What do you think it is and what can I do?

nicklandovich
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
I need to correct my previous statement, I'm not 100%sure she pooped but I'm fairly confident.

Becca58
07-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Pictures are worth 10,000 words... :)

nicklandovich
07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm stuck on my phone so I can't upload if you have looked at the bulge after a feeding it looks identical. I put her in a smaller cage with paper towlels and this morning there was a small bit of poop so she's not completely backed up.

nicklandovich
07-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Well alright then, I'll just hope for the best.

Sita
07-27-2013, 07:52 AM
You can try soaking her in a half inch of warm water, just enough so she has to move a bit, but not so much she gets tired. Soak for about 20 minutes and see if she poos and it goes away. I'd be concerned if it doesn't resolve within a week or two, or if it seems to get larger.

Paper towels are an excellent idea. I'd keep her in there until you're sure she's passed that poo, assuming that's what it is.

AliCat37
07-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Well alright then, I'll just hope for the best.

It is really difficult for anyone to help you if you don't have pictures.

Shiari
07-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Based on the vague descriptions it could be....

A partial impaction
An abscess
A cyst
Crypto

Christen
07-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Without seeing it I think a vet visit is in order just for all the reasons that Shiari posted. You can try soaking in water and see if she poops more and helps make the lump smaller or disappear but if that doesn't work then I would definitely see a vet.

nicklandovich
07-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I was just trying to find out what possibilities it could be other than impaction so Icould read up. The bulge must hhave been a partial impaction. I separated her and she pooped a few small amounts and the major bulge seems to have broken up. Thankfully she is an Amel so she is ear translucent when held up to the light. Going to keep her on paper towels until she looks completely empty.