PDA

View Full Version : Kinked tail, rounded head...:(

Kinked tail, rounded head...:(

Jillian
07-27-2013, 06:52 PM
I had a moldy egg that I thought was a dud and it started to hatch yesterday. Today out came the tiniest baby I have seen. He's maybe 5.5 inches long and so very thin. When I took him out of the box I saw that he has a kink in his tail and a rounded head. I'm not sure what the best course of action is now. I don't want to have to put him down, but I don't want him to be in pain. Any advice would be so muchly appreciated. I have a really crappy picture that shows the kink in his tail but you can't really see the rounded head in it.

Nanci
07-27-2013, 07:51 PM
If you can give him a home, and want to, I believe he will be perfectly able to live and thrive. Depending on how big he is, you may have to start him on very tiny day old mice, or even half pinks or heads. If you want to keep him, do it.

Jillian
07-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Oh I will be keeping him. As long as he's not in pain. But how will I know? Rolled up in a coil he's just a little bigger than a quarter.

Nanci
07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Do a search here for Krinkle. That's one I kept. He only lived to be two, I think, but he was happy the whole time. You just need him to eat, poop and shed.

Nanci
07-27-2013, 07:57 PM
BUT, with any deformities, you must be prepared that there might be something wrong inside, that you can't see. So he may not live long. Still, that's no reason not to try.

Jillian
07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Awe :( but at least it's hope for the little guy. I'm and hunting now.

Jillian
07-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Do a search here for Krinkle. That's one I kept. He only lived to be two, I think, but he was happy the whole time. You just need him to eat, poop and shed.

Awe thanks Nanci, this has given me hope. I'm so sorry for your loss, Krinkle was a lovely little snake.

I've called this one Spaz, he's such a small and feisty little guy. I have hope for him at least and as long as he's around, I'm just going to give him the best that I can. And I think you're right...I don't think he'll be able to take a full pinkie any time soon.

I just ultimately don't want the little guy to suffer needlessly.

Jillian
07-27-2013, 11:28 PM
A better picture...rounded head, super tiny, spastic movements and a kinked tail, and curled up no bigger than a quarter, Lil Spaz. Hopefully he can live long.

Nanci
07-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Very cute! And not horribly small. Within the normal range pretty much. The spastic movement worries me, though. Well- the first hurdle is shedding, then feeding.

Jillian
07-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Very cute! And not horribly small. Within the normal range pretty much. The spastic movement worries me, though. Well- the first hurdle is shedding, then feeding.

I tried to take a picture of the newest development in Lil Spaz. He's getting knocked down with all these issues. I'm not sure what to do for the little guy :(

Nanci
07-28-2013, 06:21 PM
That doesn't look good. Personally, myself, I _might_ see what happens after his shed, but most likely I would euthanize. MAYBE see if he sheds okay, and what happens if he poops. I'm not entirely comfortable with that, though.

Jillian
07-28-2013, 06:26 PM
That doesn't look good. Personally, myself, I _might_ see what happens after his shed, but most likely I would euthanize. MAYBE see if he sheds okay, and what happens if he poops. I'm not entirely comfortable with that, though.

I didn't think it was good. I am not wanting to euthanize but if I have to I will. What is the most humane way to euthanize? I don't want him to suffer needlessly. I will give him 24 hours and see where we are sitting tomorrow night. I don't want to give up on him just yet. But I didn't think that was good :(

Nanci
07-28-2013, 06:45 PM
I knew you were going to ask that...Cooling followed by freezing is common, but according to reptile vets is NOT humane. The reptile remains aware but immobile as it freezes. A crushing blow to the head is humane. Severing the head is NOT humane. Vet-administered euthanasia drugs- I don't know. I guess it depends on how they anesthetize the snake before they give it a shot in the heart. My method that I have settled on is fast and natural and I just don't know anything better- I just can't bring myself to crush the head. I say a little prayer and hand the baby over to a huge kingsnake and it is over in seconds. It's sad and awful but fast and natural.

DragonsDenSerpents
07-29-2013, 12:17 AM
He looks similar to a little hatchling I had this year. Mine was worse, with prolapsed hemis and VERY lethargic and was euthanized. Definitely not an easy decision. :( Thoughts go out to you and your little one.

Jillian
07-30-2013, 09:42 PM
First little light at the tunnel!!! Whatever the bump was on him has disappeared. Looks like it has gone back inside. I hope that this means good things for him. I guess time will tell. He still moves weird, but he's out and about and drinking water. I have to be hopeful for the lil guy he has such a fighting spirit!