PDA

View Full Version : shedding problems?

shedding problems?

surfrkidTS
07-14-2004, 03:36 PM
A few days ago, two of my corns shed at amost the same time, in the same room. One had a beutiful, full shed, the other, only stratched peices off. I felt like i knew what do to, so i raised the humidity in his cage and gave him a new hide filled with wet papertowels. I took him out A day later, and peeled the skin off of most of his lower body and his tail, confident that he would finish the rest. Every thing went smothely and i thought that he would get all of the extra skin off, but a small amount remains. His chin and neck still have skin on them, so i did my best today to lightly rub at it until it came off. Eventually, i was afraid of hurting him, so i put him away because he didn't like it one bit. Is there a way to get this skin off without hurting him? He has the wet cage and i think could get the skin off, but he shows no desire to... :shrugs: usually when i get a bad shed, i raise humidity and it comes right off. What did i do wrong!? :cry:

surfrkidTS
07-15-2004, 12:13 AM
anyone at all? :(

Neumann
07-15-2004, 12:28 AM
IsurfrkidTS,

I've had this problem only once. I ran a piece of paper towel under some water and held our snake for a while letting it move between my fingers (and the wet towel) slightly resisting its movement . I kept re-wetting the papertowel and after about 15-20 minutes all the skin came off.

I understand you can also place your snake inside a deli cup with wet paper towels and air holes. Leave the snake in the cup over night inside the viv. and by morning the skin should be off.

To prevent this problem, I place a moist hid in the vivs as soon I see signs of a shed coming on.

Good Luck!

fsqwert
07-15-2004, 06:39 PM
What I do is....every time my snake is about to shed...which is actually RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact. (I just recently noticed that he isnt coming out at night and he is spending an awful lot of time at the warm end of his cage, which are the 2 red flags of an impending shed) Anyway, what I always do...I wait for his eyes to turn cloudy...and then I get a spray bottle with water. I spray his whole body with a fine mist of warm water, paying particular attention to the problem areas of the eyecaps and tail tip. I do this once every day until the day he sheds. I havent had any problems since I started doing this. My snake's sheds always come off in one piece...and are always intact.

leia
07-15-2004, 06:57 PM
IsurfrkidTS,

I understand you can also place your snake inside a deli cup with wet paper towels and air holes. Leave the snake in the cup over night inside the viv. and by morning the skin should be off.

To prevent this problem, I place a moist hid in the vivs as soon I see signs of a shed coming on.

Good Luck!

THat's what I've done in the past...layers of paper towels in a quart container & about 1/2" of water. My snake hated it and wanted out...the constant motion helped get it all off. I worked in less than an hour.

I use a moist hide now, and he's had good sheds since then. I keep the hide in there all the time, I just rewet the paper towels when he's getting ready to shed.

surfrkidTS
07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
so i raised the humidity in his cage and gave him a new hide filled with wet papertowels.

I already have the soaking water and the wet hide, but u don't know what else to do. Hes looking really good today though and hopefully i can get it off.

surfrkidTS
07-15-2004, 08:00 PM
nevermind. today he felt like getting rid of it himself and scratched off the old skin on his hide. If only he could've done that in the first place geez. O well, problem solved