PDA

View Full Version : Right time for a feed?

Right time for a feed?

subliminal
08-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi all. So I got Floyd last Sunday and have more or less left him alone except to change his newspaper to astroturf and fill his water. When I got him the man told me he had been last fed about a week previous, a pinkie mouse. I have some frozen pinkies ready to go and have been patiently waiting for him to get comfortable. He still hides a lot during the day but in the evening he is out and about cruising around. I was planning on trying a feed tomorrow but as a new snake owner I'm a little nervous that I'm doing everything right. Have I waited long enough? He must be getting a bit hungry after two weeks! I've done a lot of research before getting him but I still a bit nervous.

RobbiesCornField
08-10-2013, 01:50 PM
After two weeks, he's quite likely very hungry! Generally, I recommend leaving hatchlings alone for 7 days, and feeding on that 7th day. If he's out and about in the evenings, it sounds like he's acclimating quite nicely. Corns are rather crepuscular (awake at dawn and dusk), so you won't see a whole lot of action during the day.

Good luck with your little one!

RoseRed
08-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Seven days is long enough, he should be good and hungry (especially since it has actually been 2 weeks). Good luck ^^

subliminal
08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Yay everyone! Floyd gobbled his mouse right up! I'm so proud.

Nanci
08-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Yay !!!

subliminal
08-11-2013, 10:55 PM
I have another question, I know you're not supposed to handle after feeding, so I just placed his tub into his viv and gently tipped him out. Is this ok or is there another way I should transport him back into the civ? Thanks everyone!

subliminal
08-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Oops, viv*!

rachow
08-11-2013, 11:03 PM
You can gently lift him out and put him in his viv. That brief handling will not cause a problem. I did the same as you did when I got my first baby. Once they get big though, there's really no way to tip them into their viv. Just support his body and lay him gently on the bottom.

Alicia P
08-11-2013, 11:57 PM
The tip and pour method is fine, but you can certainly scoop him up gently to place him back in his viv.