PDA

View Full Version : Striking curiousity (after feeding)

Striking curiousity (after feeding)

Blitzjg
08-11-2013, 05:10 PM
So my corn is probably at least 5 years old now, I haven't attempted to measure him recently and haven't weighed him, although now I have a kitchen scale I might give it a shot. I would assume he has probably broken 5 feet now. I have been feeding him large adult mice about once every two weeks, once he completely swallows it there is no observable bulge.

After he eats, he may retreat to a hide briefly, but more often than not, he stays out in the open and is very attentive to any movement near the cage front. In fact, he struck the glass when I had my hand against it. I'm suspicious that he is still hungry or interested in eating, and wondering if I should considering moving him to larger prey, or double up on the feedings, or maybe feed once a week?

What are your thoughts... I would like to get in the habit of handling him more often, but it always seems like he is super active and looking for food.

Blitzjg
08-11-2013, 05:12 PM
I guess technically they are Jumbo adult mice per Mice Direct.

Wamba681
08-12-2013, 03:51 AM
My Abbott's Okeetee is this way. She's got quite the appetite. After she gets the mouse down her, she's hunting immediately, looking for more. She'll bite *anything* that comes remotely close to her for about 2 hours after feeding. Even me walking by her viv causes her to strike. It's made getting her back into her viv from the feeding bin an exciting time! I usually pick her up right as the mouse butt is going down her mouth and quickly put her away. Haha

I feed her every 7 days.

Nanci
08-12-2013, 05:39 AM
All my big males are on one large mouse every three weeks. I have a couple Miamis that are on a two week schedule due to being such extreme feeders that they would not be pleasant to handle at a longer interval. I sure wouldn't go less than a two week interval with a big adult, or more than a jumbo mouse. It's healthier for him to be lean and strong, not a flabby fatty. Can you take a photo of him?

blitzJGOkatee
08-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Is a pic, I think, I was going to handle him right now but he was lunging at the glass

Nanci
08-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Is he okay once he's out?

blitzJGOkatee
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Honestly I haven't been handling him much let alone as much as I should, partly due to this response so I'm not sure, In the past he's been aggressively curious but has never struck repeatedly and when I got him out in the past he seems fine, just really active. I wasn't sure if I should try given that he was striking today

HVani
08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Does he eat inside his enclosure?

blitzJGOkatee
08-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I couldn't imagine having to get him out every time since he's usually surly around feeding time as it is.

I managed to get him out today here's a pic

Blitzjg
08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
What do you guys think? I have a Kitchen scale I could weigh him on if that would be a help

HVani
08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I think part of the issue is about the only time his tank is opened is to feed him. So he thinks every time anyone comes near the tank or opens it, it is feeding time. I would buy a pair of gloves and start getting him out on a regular basis, just a few minutes at a time. Feeding outside the tank can help too. He just needs to learn that it's time to eat whenever the tank is opened.

Janome
08-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Mice do not seem to satisfy my adults. Try rat crawlers. They are around the same size as adult / jumbo mice. Mine love them.

Blitzjg
08-17-2013, 06:17 PM
If they are about the same size why do you think they are satisfied more?