PDA

View Full Version : Next step after assist feeding...

Next step after assist feeding...

snakehobbyist
08-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Today I had to assist feed a hatchling corn that just wouldn't eat for me. I gave him a fuzzy tail and he ate it like a champ. Now...how often do I offer food assist feed? This is something I've never done before so I'm really unsure of the specifics.

diamondlil
08-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Today I had to assist feed a hatchling corn that just wouldn't eat for me. I gave him a fuzzy tail and he ate it like a champ. Now...how often do I offer food assist feed? This is something I've never done before so I'm really unsure of the specifics.
Offer a hot thawed (or live) pink next feed. If the hatchling won't feed voluntarily, have a good idea of what you intend to do with it. Personally I won't sell any hatchlings I breed that don't feed, or breed from them, so they would be pet only if I did raise them.

Nanci
08-29-2013, 05:33 AM
What all have you tried? And have you tried the two best tricks- boiled pinks, or Ivory or Dawn-scented pinks?

I'd continue to offer _some_ sort of pink, every meal, rotating through the various scents, and if he doesn't eat in 1-2 hours, then either tease feed a pink or a tail.

snakehobbyist
08-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I've tried every every trick in the book. About two years ago I had a hatchling that wouldn't eat for me. I tried everything and work with a vet to try to get him eating. I ended up trying to put him down but he died before his vet appointment.

I certainly am going to offer a live day old pinky (I live down the street from my friend who breeds her own mice and rats so they are easy for me to come by) and if he doesn't eat, I'm going to try to assist feed him a tail again the next day.

As for what I will do with him, these were rescues that I acquired after half of them had hatched (I also acquired the rest of the eggs). They are going to be given pet homes once they are all eating. His siblings have all eaten 3-4 meals at least and he's getting skinny because he won't eat. I have no intention on finding him a home until he's gained some weight and is eating consistently.

diamondlil
08-29-2013, 05:56 PM
I'd say the day old live 'red' is the number one thing to try if you can get them. Boiled pinks though, amazingly, are almost as good! Good luck!