PDA

View Full Version : color of mice?

color of mice?

Aurora13
07-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I own a rather pinkish snow corn. As usual, she is aquiring more and more yellow as she matures and sheds. I was wondering if there was a link between the color of mice fed to a snake and the appearance of yellow on their scales. For example, black or brown mice have more pigment in their fur as opposed to white mice who have almost none. Does anybody know if there could be a possible link between mice and snake coloration? Or are there any other effects of feeding different color mice to your snake?
Any Theorys or facts on the subject would be appriciated!
:shrugs:

Amanda E
07-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Rather "interesting" question to say the least.

Your snow cornsnake is colored the way it is because of the simple recessive genes of amelanism and anerythrism being homozygous in the animal at the same time. They yellow that is beginning to appear is something that shows up only after a few months (and doesn't always show up in some snakes). It too is dependent on whether or not the parents had a lot of yellow on their necks.

Mice similarly are colored the way they are due to certain genes as well.

Their color has nothing to do with what they eat*, but is only controlled by what the parents genes consisted of.

*Note: I actually just read that by altering the genes in some mice, scientists were able to create an amelanistic mouse that, when fed a specific supplement, would turn on the gene that makes pigment and grow a brown coat and "grow" black eyes. When the supplement is taken away the white coat grows back, though the black eyes remain (due to the pigment in the cells in the eyes not breaking down).

marg
07-17-2004, 10:22 AM
hiya :wavey:

wow, interesting! I agree with AmandaE my snow corn is very pink but is going more yellow......s/he is nearly 11 months and only had pinkies.

it would be fun if the colour of things/peoples foods determined their colour......wouldn't we all be colourful?? :rofl:

thank you

cornsnake234
07-17-2004, 12:36 PM
:crazy02: i don't know if food can make a lot of difference in corns color, but i already heard that pink flamingo get their color from shrimp they eat, i'm not sure if it's true but i think it make sens!! :shrugs:

By the way, i think vitamins supplements can enhance their colors.... make them brighter... but cannot change it!!! :cool:

Aurora13
07-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I figured there was no link but I had to ask the question anyway!