PDA

View Full Version : First one out!

First one out!

Darin Chappell
06-26-2002, 06:13 PM
My first baby of the year (creamsicle) pipped out last night. It looks VERY red for a cream, but both parents are as creamsicle as can be! After it sheds maybe the color will be noticeably different, but I'm still interested to see how red it stays. Pictures are on the way!

Darin

Alicia
06-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I really like Creamsicles.

:) Alicia

Kevin M
06-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Let the fun begin, Darin. Congrats. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Jr Nimeskern
06-27-2002, 06:30 PM
Yes I would also like to see these creams taht just popped out... cant wait for the pics...

Darin Chappell
06-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Well,

Now I have four babies out of their eggs, one pipped, and four more one the way! However, once they've dried off real well, they're pink rather than red as I originally thought! I don't know what they'll look like after they've shed, but I know I can't wait to see! I'll get the pics ASAP.

On another note...Joe, THANKS again for meeting me in KC. I am absolutley convinced that this is an amel bloodred! I can't wait to breed him to my het for bloodred girls next spring. It was also great to meet you! Call me anytime (especially if that pet shop has anymore *sales*)!

Darin

Jr Nimeskern
06-28-2002, 06:49 PM
LOL no problem... if your pet shops get anything "Special" then you can email me... and Ill drive to where ever to get the "Special" deal... lol I dont know what Im going to breed mine to... ill probably buy a blood this summer... thats a 01 so I can breed them... just to make sure that its a bloodred... goodluck on your projects...

Katie
07-01-2002, 07:02 PM
I could be wrong but I thought that bloodred was not a simple recessive trait and a snake could not be het for bloodred.... in the above post it mentions a snake het for bloodred. Am I wrong? Just wondering because I know my snake's mom was normal and her dad was a bloodred. If bloodred IS a recessive trait then there would be a chance that my snake could be het for it right???

kenalotia
07-01-2002, 08:28 PM
Well, bloodred isn't a simple recessive trait, but your snake can still be het for it. It's co-dominant. Most corns that are het for bloodred have a lot more red than a normal. But they're not completely bloodreds, and will usually have some degree of checkering. And if your snake's dad was a bloodred, then your snake is definitely het for bloodred. Sometimes people call these snakes outcrossed bloodreds.

Darin Chappell
07-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Bloodred is NOT a simple recessive gene like amelanism, but if you have a snake that is the product of a bloodrd crossed with (fill in the blank), then your out-crossed bloodred will carry all of the simple recessive genes that come together to make a bloodred, assuming that the bloodred morph is a combination of simple recessive genes. When your snake is then crossed with a bloodred, the product of that pairing will likely produce some babies that are bloodred, and the others will be "het" for all of the characteristics.

Quite frankly we don't know how this all works out, and simple punnett squares don't help in any way. However, if bloodred is a genetically passable trait from parents to offspring (we know it is because bloodred x bloodred produces bloodreds), then bloodred out-crosses also have to have inherited those genes from their bloodred parent. How it works out genetically may be a bit fuzzy, but just because we don't fully understand the process doesn't mean something isn't happening there:D

It may not be completely accurate to say that an animal is "het" for bloodred. However, when I hear or use that terminology, I do so with the understanding that the animal in question is the product of breeding a bloodred to another morph, and when I breed this "het" to a bloodred, I expect to get some bloodreds in the clutch.

Now, the percentage of bloodreds to be expected? That's another story all together:rolleyes:

Katie
07-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Geez, now I want a bloodred to breed with my snake! Lol. Well I was feeling like the odd one out because I only had a normal corn (though I love her to death no matter what color/morph she is or isn't). Kinda cool to find out she's a little bit special. Thanks guys.

Oh, and she DOES have a lot more red than a normal. She's got a really red back ground with really orangy blotches and barely any black (compared to pics I've seen of other normals...). She also has strange belly checks with red washed through them more and more towards the last 2/3 of her body. Her color also darkens a bit in the last 2/3 of her body as well.

kenalotia
07-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Yep, she sounds like an outcrossed blood, all right! :)