• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My new snake won't eat

shezomru

I got her on Wednesday morning and now it's Saturday, and we decided to feed her for the first time, and the pinkie was too big for her so we cut its head off and offered that. We had her in the container she came in in her cage for a few hours and she didn't touch it. We had the container on the cool side, is that okay? I'm going to wait a while and try to feed her again, should I use the same head or a different one. She's about 11 inches long, in case that helps. I'm worried about her because I've never had a snake before, so I'm not experienced and I really need your help.

Hi, i'm Dorita. I recently got a snake ,but i've had a few before. I don't think your problem is that bad. first u must find out from the person u bought u'r snake from, how she was fed. If she was fed dead pinkies she might prefer it that way or she might prefer them to be alive.u see snakes can't really see so they depend on sensing heat and movement, that atracts their attention. when prey is dead it has no body heat so it's harder to "see". try feeding her a rather small pinkie alive( about aday or two old) maby that will work. don't worry u'r snake won't die that easilly, they can go a few weeks without food.

well with my little experiance... i feed my snake in a seperate container than his cage. I use a rubbermaid with air holes in the lid, and then since it is clear i cover the sides and place him in and then his meal. the first time i went to feed him it was about a week after i got him home. that is pretty much what i learned is to let the snake settle in before handling, or feeding.

OkeeteeCorn, I think they are feeding in a seperate container. It's just been placed in the viv. That should be fine, and might actually be less stressfull for the new snake. You may have to wait as long as a week to get them to eat though, so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

You only had the food in for a few hours? I am not a real pro at this one, but when I fed my hatchling I put the pinkie in the deli cup she was shipped in and then I put her in there and left her with it over night. I went to bed. I shut off all lights and gave her complete darkness, even shut off the heat lamp from my other viv. I think it was about 10 30 pm when I had given her the pinkie.

The pinkie looked pretty big for my little girl but came morning time it was gone and she was ready to get out of the deli cup.

Might be worth a try ?Did the breeder you had gotten it from said she was eating pinkies and had been fed?

i really wish i had gotten it from kathy love, because the people i got her from dont know anything about her, not even her age, or sex, or what she was eating. (this guy said to feed her worms)

I bought my new snake a week ago, and 2 days later when I gave him his feed he took no notice of it at all. I panicked coz like you , he is my first snake. He is a yearling and healthy and obviously fed well before I bought him. I got on the pc and sent out a question like you. When I went back to the viv about 3 hours later the mouse had gone. I put this down to him settling in and tomorrow is his feed day again. I will see if he eats faster this time. I dont think I would keep the mouse head more than a few hours (poooo)but the heat from the viv will warm the mouse and might make it seem more appetizing? Ive been advised that young babies are agorophobic and wont eat if in too large a container but you appear to have yours in a small one. Hope he eats soon, good luck!

Last edited:
yeah, i refroze the mouse head, and it wasnt smelly or nething, so i figured it would be okay... should i put the container in the warm or cool side of the viv, or in the middle?

I'd keep it on the cool side since you're closing it up with a moist a mouse inside. You might get some condensation in there. I would wait another 3 days or so. Who knows what this poor thing was fed if the place told you to feed WORMS.....gads!

When I fed my hatchling I put the deli in her cage on the warm side.

Yeah don't feed your snake worms that's crazy. And like I said the pinkie looked big to my hatchling too, but she ate it no problem. Good luck on trying to refeed.

I met a lady who was given a cornsnake and the person who had it was feeding her lik peaches, one a month, however this female corn is 10 years old.. I was happy to see the new owner having her, and feeding her correctly atleast.

Last edited:
Yeah that snake my friend had gotten was seriously under fed. Why I am glad she has her now.

The only reason why I have mine at the warm end is because as I stated I had her in the deli cup she was shipped in. I wanted to make sure because she was in the deli cup she would have the warmth to digest the food she had consumed. However the next morning I let her out.

Yes I am very pleased with the corn I got from Kathy Love and seriously thinking about another,but need to stop myself :)

shezomru said:
I got her on Wednesday morning and now it's Saturday, and we decided to feed her for the first time, and the pinkie was too big for her so we cut its head off and offered that. We had her in the container she came in in her cage for a few hours and she didn't touch it. We had the container on the cool side, is that okay? I'm going to wait a while and try to feed her again, should I use the same head or a different one. She's about 11 inches long, in case that helps. I'm worried about her because I've never had a snake before, so I'm not experienced and I really need your help.
you should move his container to the warm side (then wait a day and let her warm up) then try to feed her a new smaller pinkie that is alive,....rite me back at [email protected] talk to you later see ya

should i try her on a thawed once more before feeding live, because i have a headless pinkie in my freezer, and the first time i didnt leave her in with the mouse over night, just for an hour. How should I warm up the mouse, exactly? I cooked a mouse head yesterday, the water was too warm...

Krenna said:

The pinkie looked pretty big for my little girl but came morning time it was gone and she was ready to get out of the deli cup.

was it bigger than her head? mine is pretty small... she makes the pinkie look big.

I just run hot water from the faucet and put it in there. You might want to put it in a plastic sealed bag to keep it dry so that the scent is strong. For my snakes though, I just throw it in the water until they are soft and warm, blot them dry, and feed.

Back