PDA

View Full Version : Help urgent stiff snake

Help urgent stiff snake

Audi007
09-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I fed my corn 2 pinkies like I do once a week as instructed when I got him a month ago. He was flipping out at first his drinking has been what it usually is his temps are around 80 after he ate his 2nd mouse he just went stiff almost like he was paralyzed only his head was moving we touched him and he was completely stiff I'm worried and don't know what to do

NH93
09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
What are the temps on the warm AND cold side? If it's just 80 all around, there's no heat gradient to properly digest food.
How much does your snake weigh?
Are you sure he is actually paralyzed, and not just being still? Or does it look like he's trying to move and can't?

Audi007
09-10-2013, 08:55 PM
The temp Gage's are in the middle of the tank he is under his heat lamp he eats under the lamp he looks like he is trying to move but o ly half of his body will move. The other half is stiff like a stick and I can still see the mouse in his stomach

NH93
09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Hmmm... just sounds like it ate a big meal? Unless I'm not understanding, it doesn't sound too alarming. Picture?
Each end of the tank should have it's own thermometer, and the heat lamp (if you are using one instead of a UTH, even though UTHs are advised) must only be at ONE end of the tank, not in the middle! There needs to be a heat gradient - meaning one end is cool (72-74F) and one end warm (83-85F) so the snake can choose where it wants to go.

subliminal
09-11-2013, 01:24 AM
I have to respectfully disagree NH93. If Audi007's snake is acting as described (half of the body is stiff like a stick and will not move), it sounds like he may be having some sort of neurological issue, a seizure or something. Maybe eating the big meal was a trigger? Even with the big meal in his stomach, going "stiff" is not normal. Audi007, can you provide any more information?
Is your entire tank 80F?
Has your snake ever shown any indication of this type of behaviour before?
Did he ingest any substrate along with the mouse?
Has he been eating/pooping normally prior to this?
As NH93 asked, can you provide a picture?
As she has already said, you need to be providing a proper heat gradient for digestion. This kind of behaviour would definitely indicate a vet visit, even if he does return to "normal" after a while (I would not wait to find out), you'd likely want to find out what caused it. Please keep us posted.

Audi007
09-11-2013, 04:23 AM
It has been 8 hours since his feeding..I can still see where he was tryin to digest the pinkie and he still has not moved. I am afraid to pick him up because I do not want to hurt him he is stiff as a board. He has been eating 2 pinkies for about a moth now he is about 2 feet long and I would say about as thick as a pen I'm not sure how much he weighs. The guy at the pet store said snakes didn't need to go to the vet which isn't sit with me right. I haven't been able to sleep because I've been worried about him and the times I have sized off I've had dreams about him it so weird

Audi007
09-11-2013, 04:28 AM
The site won't let me post pics says they are too big for some reason

Nanci
09-11-2013, 05:21 AM
It's normal for him to hide and not move, after eating. When he went stiff, was the second pink down in his stomach, or still up in his esophagus?

Audi007
09-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Down in his stomach . He did not go and hide it is not like him to just lay stiff as a board usually he's wiggly and anxious to get out of his feedin container this time he did not move he tried to move his head and upper body but the rest of his body was stiff ad he couldnt flip homself over when he went upside down now he isn't moving at all i helped him turn over but and I'm afraid he might be dead but I'm terrified of burying him alive because I don't want him to suffer

Audi007
09-11-2013, 05:29 AM
It's normal for him to hide and not move, after eating. When he went stiff, was the second pink down in his stomach, or still up in his esophagus?

Audi007

Down in his stomach . He did not go and hide it is not like him to just lay stiff as a board usually he's wiggly and anxious to get out of his feedin container this time he did not move he tried to move his head and upper body but the rest of his body was stiff ad he couldnt flip homself over when he went upside down now he isn't moving at all i helped him turn over but and I'm afraid he might be dead but I'm terrified of burying him alive because I don't want him to suffer

Audi007
09-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Almost 12 hours later he still has not moved and I have to go to work and the vet doesn't open till after I'm at work.

subliminal
09-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Is there someone else who could take him? Is the vet still open after you are done work? I think you need to get him there ASAP, despite what the pet store worker told you they do need trips to the vet, that's why there are specialized herp vets!

Nanci
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
There probably isn't anything a vet can do at this point. It doesn't hurt to just wait and make sure he's dead before you bury him. You'll know soon enough. I'm sorry- this is very strange.

dwyn127
09-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Happened to me last year with a Sunkissed Blood. He was eating fine and one day did exactly what you're seeing and died. I've heard they can have insulin shock especially if they haven't eaten in a while then eat a large meal. And unfortunately, sometimes there is no explanation and they're just not meant to make it.

Nanci
09-11-2013, 09:37 AM
So if that can happen to someone who has fed hundreds of snakes, please don't blame yourself about your little one.

Christaberk
09-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Update??..

Audi007
09-14-2013, 12:20 PM
He went completely limp and no tongue movement so we had to bury him. :(

dave partington
09-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Should you get another snake somewhere down the road, get rid of the heat lamp.
"about 80 degrees" and under a heat lamp can cook a snake.
Use a UTH and get a digital temperature gun.

Christen
09-14-2013, 04:30 PM
He went completely limp and no tongue movement so we had to bury him. :(

I am so very sorry.

zazoo31
09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry you lost him. :(

MACS76
09-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Sorry about your loss. So sad.

NH93
09-15-2013, 12:57 PM
I am sorry that this happened to you... and that I didn't give you better advise. Please don't let this keep you from getting other snakes!!

crotalis40741
09-15-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree with Dave, get rid of the heat lamp. If down the road you decide you want another corn, I will help you out with one. No charge but for shipping. I hate to see someone just getting started get discouraged and leave this hobby.