PDA

View Full Version : Temps/Digestion/Excement

Temps/Digestion/Excement

romeosidvicious
09-16-2013, 10:06 AM
So I have two snakes and some questions. I don't have a scale yet but I am fairly certain they are eating the right size mice at the moment. I'll have a scale before the next feeding so I can be absolutely sure.

I feed once a week with the hatchling taking a pinkie and the yearling taking a small (Petsmart designation) mouse. I am fairly certain the hatchling has voided his last feeding. There was black stuff in his enclosure, a small amount, that couldn't have come from anything else in there. He's tiny so I assume his poop would be tiny. It was easy to see against the aspen bedding. This would have been about 5 days since the last feeding. Is 5 days normal for a hatchling?

The second one is more complex. The yearling is easting, she really seems to enjoy it. She's the reason I need a scale, i think she might be ready to move up a size or get two mice. I have a 24x18x18 enclosure for her with a good gradient, about 83-85 depending on the thermostat cycle on the glass, inside the warm hide to about 73 ambient on the cool side. She seems to prefer the cool side after eating and from what I've read she needs at least 75 to digest properly. She'll move to the warm hide for a bit but spends most of her time in the cool side hide. She's fed twice since her re-homing and I have yet to find any excrement in her enclosure. I even went through the aspen substrate while she was in her feeding tub. I am concerned because she hasn't voided and is spending a lot of time on the cool side. She seems healthy otherwise. Doesn't mind being held and has periods of activity at night where she's all over the enclosure.

I know I might be over-reacting and I only included the hatchling because I just want to be sure. I am more concerned about Georgina, the yearling.

rachow
09-16-2013, 10:12 AM
I've read somewhere that some snakes will hold only poop every couple of weeks, not necessarily after each feeding. I had a similar worry with my snake concerning staying on the cool side a lot, But I had no regurges, so she was digesting properly. It sounds like your yearling is fine. I wouldn't worry, but I'll let someone more experienced weigh in as well.