PDA

View Full Version : First regurge, PLEASE help

First regurge, PLEASE help

Jester37
09-18-2013, 11:43 AM
We have had our 3 month old cornsnake for 1 month now. The first 3 times we fed him there were no issues, digestion/pooping was fine. He just had his first shed with us last Saturday and voraciously took to a pinkie on Monday. Well yesterday (Tuesday) we found the regurge on the side of the cage. We basically know what to do and will follow Kathy Love's regurgitation protocol.

But now I am trying to figure out why the regurge happened. One thing we noticed is that this time after he fed, he hung out on the vine on the side of his cage, a place he loves, but the first 3 times we fed him he would go hide for 3 days until he was digested. This time he hung out on the vine for hours immediately after eating. Our temps in the viv are/were stable, 83-86 warm/70-75 cool. Could his time on the vine prevented digestion? Could it be as simple as not accessing the heat for whatever reason as much as he did the other 3 times? Does it mean anything that he regurged within 24 hours as opposed to 2 or 3 days later? We did not handle him after feeding and the pinkie we fed him was of the appropriate size.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It is greatly appreciated.

AliCat37
09-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I have had a few snakes regurge for what seems like no reason at all. I just follow the protocol and have not had issues.

Some things that I have considered in my "seemingly no reason" regurges are:

Size of pinky
Source of pinky (such as from a pet store vs breeder)
Age of pinky
Possible temperature changes
Potential of something scaring the baby

Jester37
09-19-2013, 09:06 AM
What are the chances that the regurge was due to a bad pinkie? We use f/t.

AliCat37
09-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't know the exact odds or chances. I have only had it happen with mice from petco. My friend also suggests cutting them in half to see the color inside. Ideally,they'll be a nice red and pink. If they smell really bad and/or are green, then something may be wrong. If you buy mice from huge companies, sometimes they don't freeze the mice right. They'll kill them and put many thousands in a freezer, and the ones in the center don't freeze for sometimes days after.