PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed.

Help Needed.

Jillian
09-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I posted a little while ago about a baby that was a non feeder that I accidently sold. Well now after a very long time we have finally arranged for me to go out and pick him up.
I have come to find out that the girl who had him has taken him to a reptile store that she thought knew what they were doing and they have been force feeding him. Well now what do I do???
I am getting him on Friday and I want to make sure I give him the best possible care but I am afraid that he might be stressed out beyond the point of saving him.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

RoseRed
09-18-2013, 10:19 PM
I would treat him as a new arrival, so nothing for a week or so. Don't do anything to stress him, no handling sessions, nothing. I believe Nanci has a thread on her section that helps with non-feeders, I would look at that.

Jillian
09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Her non feeder thread is my bible. I just wanted to make sure that I do everything possible to give this guy a new chance. I am just hoping that it's not too late with the fact that he's been being force fed.

I am going to set him up in a completely quiet area in the house so he doesn't get any disturbances...just so concerned for the little guy. Hating to think how he's suffered due to my error.

RoseRed
09-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Her non feeder thread is my bible. I just wanted to make sure that I do everything possible to give this guy a new chance. I am just hoping that it's not too late with the fact that he's been being force fed.

I am going to set him up in a completely quiet area in the house so he doesn't get any disturbances...just so concerned for the little guy. Hating to think how he's suffered due to my error.

Everyone makes mistakes (I have made plenty), just give him the best chance that he can have.

Jillian
09-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Thank you so much!

NH93
09-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Hmmm... are you giving back their money, or giving them a new snake?
I don't know the etiquette of buying and selling snakes, but I would think that if they have been force feeding (slash allowing someone to force feed) a little snake, their "warranty" perse would be up. If that makes sense?
The health of the animal could be impaired, no?
At the same time, you mentioned that it was your mistake, and it was very good of you to own up and get things sorted out! So good on you :)
But I do hope you get the snake back into your own helping hands!!

Jillian
09-18-2013, 11:55 PM
I am giving her another snake. The situation was that I had put this snake (non feeder) aside. But two girls were purchasing 2 snakes each. So while sexing them I mistakenly grabbed the non feeder down and popped him. Without thinking she asked for it and I said sure. Well I noticed a few minutes after she left that she took the non feeder :( I tried to catch her before she left but it was a no go.

They live an hour away and it's difficult for us to meet up. But after nothing happening and it being too many weeks, I have to make time to get to her and give her the proper snake and try and get this one going again. It was my mistake BUT they haven't been too accommodating in helping me get the little one back. I'm not going to complain. The proper snake will be with the lady and the little non feeder will be with me where I will try and do my best with him.

And I would like to think that even if it were their fault in some way that I would still do the same thing and fix it the best I could...although I think I would be requesting that they make the drive versus me making it if that were the case.

Jillian
09-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Alright this was messed up. I am so freaking angry right now. I told the girl who got the non feeder on Tuesday that I would come by today (friday) to get the little snake and exchange it for the feeder.
She was ever so greatful on the phone that I was coming and doing this for her since it's an hour out of my way but it was my mistake.
So I get there and she doesn't have the non feeder. He is still at the pet store where she had left him. She got a g/f to go and pick him up and instead of the 20 minutes it should have taken to grab him she was gone for OVER AN HOUR. I don't understand why she didn't get him on the Wednesday, or Thursday or even today when I texted her right before I left.
But at least things have been fixed. She has the feeder and I am DONE dealing with them. Now I just hope I can get him going after the 3 force feeds he's had done.

gelshark
09-20-2013, 03:31 PM
I force fed a couple of snakes last year. they are thriving now. after about 3 months they started eating on their own. I would force 2 times and let them try on their own the third time until one day they ate on their own. dont fret too much. your snake will be fine. if you do force feed I recommend mouse tails. it is a lot easier and less stressful to you and that makes it less traumatic for the snake as well. good luck.

Jillian
11-23-2013, 08:58 AM
This little one has stayed as a non feeder all since birth and through the sale and the reaquiring of him. He has refused despite all my best efforts and i was sure the little guy was a goner. Well last night i just got tired of it all and threw a boiled pink into his box (no brown bag or deli cup)...checked him this morning and the mouse was gone. Just like that. There might be hope for him yet. Or it's a fluke either way i will take it.

OrchidPal
11-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Wow! That's great!

Nanci
11-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I guess he got hungry! I'd do the exact same thing, for the next meal.

Jillian
11-24-2013, 02:38 AM
Thanks all!! Nanci your advice is what kept me going with him almost gave him up for dead! Your thread is amazing and this makes me advocate it even more!!!!