PDA

View Full Version : Two....wait...FOUR new Kings!!

Two....wait...FOUR new Kings!!

MysticExotics
09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
I've always loved this pattern type in the California Kingsnakes, & when one popped up on CL recently, I caved.
She's small for her age (going on 4 years old & only about 120 grams), she's very pretty.

I also found this male (second photo) & he will be here next week.

**I deleted the pic of the male I'm not getting.
I'm holding off on having him shipped until the first week of Oct, with my plans to move this coming weekend. I didn't want him to be stressed from being shipped out, & then get moved again.

spyderk
09-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Awesome! She looks similar to my Sherlock. Do you have other Cal kings too?

Chip
09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
She's small for her age (going on 4 years old & only about 120 grams), she's very pretty.

Yikes!!! She is very pretty, congrats on the pickup, though I hope the underfeeding has no adverse effects on her health. Did they never move her up from pinkies?

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Awesome! She looks similar to my Sherlock. Do you have other Cal kings too?
I saw your Sherlock & was thinking the same thing!!
These two are my first/only Cali Kings.

Yikes!!! She is very pretty, congrats on the pickup, though I hope the underfeeding has no adverse effects on her health. Did they never move her up from pinkies?

Thanks! Well, the girl I got her from claimed she said she was feeding her adult mice, once a week or every two weeks. The thing is, as small as she is, I wouldn't be feeding her anything above a weanling.

There was a change. I saw another male that I liked better, & the breeder is sending me this male, instead of the one I pictured above.

I like the higher black.

rich333
09-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Congrats on the kings!!! Might have to get myself a Cali one of these days.

Nanci
09-23-2013, 07:16 AM
They are both so pretty! The male looks like a coastal- I can't tell with the female. I think a different locality.

spyderk
09-23-2013, 08:23 AM
I like the new male too. I *might* be adding another Cal king this week. It'll be a male, though ... but I would love to know if you bred a female like yours to mine, would all the babies turn out that way? Sherlock's dad is a banded king and mom is an aberrant stripe with some banding.

Buzzard
09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Very nice Heather

Buzz

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Congrats on the kings!!! Might have to get myself a Cali one of these days.
Thanks! I've always loved these guys, I finally gave in & got them.
They are both so pretty! The male looks like a coastal- I can't tell with the female. I think a different locality.
Thank you Nanci! I don't know anything about the localities. The male I'm buying was just listed as a designer Cali King. The female was just listed as "kingsnake" LOL

I like the new male too. I *might* be adding another Cal king this week. It'll be a male, though ... but I would love to know if you bred a female like yours to mine, would all the babies turn out that way? Sherlock's dad is a banded king and mom is an aberrant stripe with some banding.
I'm not sure, I am not familiar with the genetics on these guys.

Very nice Heather

Buzz

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Additional info on the female (also might explain why she's smaller): The girl I got her from got her from Petco, where she worked. Apparently, this little girl got out of her enclosure as a hatchling, & lived for about a year by stealing finch eggs & eating small fish at the pet store. She said there were periodic sightings of her in the store & it was a year before they caught her, then the girl took her home.

rich333
09-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Well then..... She's a fighter! And her resolve to live has been rewarded....with you becoming her new mum! ; )

Nanci
09-23-2013, 06:08 PM

That snake looks like a kid colored him in with one of those paint markers!

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm really happy to have found the female (I wasn't specifically looking though) & I am looking forward to getting the male. I'm thinking of "Luna" & "Eclipse" for names.

spyderk
09-23-2013, 06:15 PM
That's crazy that she survived all of that, and now she is going to be one happy Cal king living with you.

That snake looks like a kid colored him in with one of those paint markers!

I completely agree, Nanci!

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
She's going to love getting slugs next year. The girl I got her from said she *loves* Finch eggs, & suggested I go to Petco with a paper cup & napkin, & ask for Finch eggs to feed to her. I guess they just dispose of the eggs anyways.

Does anyone know if there's any problems with feeding them Finch eggs?

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Well, delaying in shipping out animals can be dangerous. I was looking at the other babies he had available & I ended up asking about another two babies that I liked, & he gave me a pretty good deal to add them to the box that will be shipped out next week.

The female is from a het ghost mosaic clutch, & the male is from a ghost to hypo pairing.

I think future pairings are going to be a lot of fun with these snakes!!

Chip
09-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Wow, you're really stocking up on the Cal kings! Mice will never go to waste in your animal room again!

MysticExotics
09-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Nothing will go to waste in my snake room! LOL
They'll get all of my slugs from my Cresties as well as my Cornsnakes. If they get big enough, they can even eat the slugs from my Carpet Python clutches, in a few years.

Cali Kings can get pretty big (for Kingsnakes) right?

spyderk
09-24-2013, 01:03 AM
That is what happened to me last year with SMR. Had 2 snakes ordered but waiting for my caging to arrive, and then ... wait, I like this RO too, why not add it. I asked Don how often that happens and he said quite a bit!!

Congrats on the FOUR!

MysticExotics
09-24-2013, 01:25 AM
LOL! I bet it happens a lot. Plus, when they give you a discount for multiple animals.
I think these will be fun projects to work with down the road!

ghosthousecorns
09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I like those striped calis a lot, awesome pickups!

MysticExotics
09-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Thank you! I don't know why it took me so long to get them, I've loved them for a long time.

spyderk
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Where are your 3 coming from?

MysticExotics
09-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Where are your 3 coming from?

Mike Fedzen (http://www.albinomilksnake.com/forsale.htm)

spyderk
10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Do you have your kings yet?

MysticExotics
10-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Do you have your kings yet?

I did! I've been pretty busy with the move & a recent trip out east, but hopefully, I can get some updated pix fairly soon.

I went to Tinley last weekend & picked up yet another Kingsnake. LOL
I picked up a MBK male. I looked for a female, but all were males. I'll find a female MBK at some point.

ghosthousecorns
10-19-2013, 06:27 PM
I knew you wouldn't leave Tinley without something :)

MysticExotics
10-19-2013, 06:56 PM
I knew you wouldn't leave Tinley without something :)

I was certainly trying not to. LOL
I am adding a third snake, a striped Jungle out of a JCP X Zebra pairing, produced by Howard Redding & Jason Baylin.

Help! LOL

spyderk
10-19-2013, 10:34 PM
I did! I've been pretty busy with the move & a recent trip out east, but hopefully, I can get some updated pix fairly soon.

I went to Tinley last weekend & picked up yet another Kingsnake. LOL
I picked up a MBK male. I looked for a female, but all were males. I'll find a female MBK at some point.

I'm looking forward to the pictures!

MysticExotics
10-21-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm looking forward to the pictures!
I will try to get pix later this week. I offered their second meal with me tonight, & two of the babies are holding out on eating.
I ended up rewarming the pinks in hot water & put each of the two in small deli cups, to leave over night, in hopes that they will eat.

I did get a good photo of my MBK while I was at my BF's in MD, before I shipped him to my friend here in WA.

ratsncorns
10-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Gorgeous little MBK!

spyderk
10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
He's so shiny!

My Elliot is holding out on eating, but I found him soaking in his water dish this morning so I'm hotel that after his shed he'll eat. He's had 2 meals with me, and it's been about a month since I've had him.

MysticExotics
10-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Gorgeous little MBK!
Thanks! I love MBK's! I found a female for him!
Mike Madec from Isis Reptiles has a couple clutches, I believe. They are male heavy, so they're not selling females by themselves.
I'm pickig up a 1.1 pair of MBK's & the male will go to Tara, who has a female MBK. That will give us each an unrelated pair to work with.
He's so shiny!

My Elliot is holding out on eating, but I found him soaking in his water dish this morning so I'm hotel that after his shed he'll eat. He's had 2 meals with me, and it's been about a month since I've had him.

MBK's are pretty cool! They are the poor man's Indigo! :)

I found out from Mike Fedzen that one of the babies I got (one that has refused f/t twice) was only eating live, & the other two had eaten f/t multiple times before I got them.
The two fed f/t, have each eaten once & refused once.

I'll be looking for live pinkies this weekend for them.

It's not a HUGE deal, but I would have liked to have known, because I did have a small colony of mice & I culled them before I left for Tinley. I really don't have a very good place to keep them, other than the laundry room, which is off the kitchen & I really do not want to deal with the smell.

I had considered investing in one of the wooden storage sheds, insulating it & putting feeder rodents in there, but I will have to see if I can afford that anytime soon.

I think once they have been with me for a while, they should switch over to f/t. Kings eat anything, right?? LOL