PDA

View Full Version : Tried Literally Everything - Still Won't Eat!!?

Tried Literally Everything - Still Won't Eat!!?

chelzzer
09-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Right so. I hatched out a couple Corns (from a friend's clutch - I wanted the experience of hatching some out but I don't have any breeding snakes, so I got myself an incubator and she graciously gave me two eggs) in mid June, and I have never had so much frustration in my life! They are definitely giving me a run for my money (and sanity) as far as feeding goes. Both are Stripe morphs.

Baby Numero Uno - Female:
5 meals on her own so far. One in July, and now eating perfectly for the past 5 feedings (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th) . She started out really fussy, was force fed through August to keep up her weight, but now she's hammering them down no problem. All good in the hood with this one.

Baby Number Two - Male:
I have never had my patience tested so much in my life, let me tell you!! Hasn't taken a single meal on his own. I have been able to force feed him, still occasionally offering a f/t pinky to see if he will take it. Nope! For this little guy I have tried f/t, boiled, warmed the pinky up to a considerable higher temp than normal, braining, half pinks, scented with ivory soap, and even live (not that I normally do - I always feed f/t but I'm trying anything at this point. Pinky was removed after a supervised 10 minute visit with Mr.Snake who showed zero interest) but I still haven't had any luck! At the moment he is being force fed mouse tails (from the f/t mice being given to my adult Corn, ahah) rolled in vitamins to keep him going. I'm really at a loss here and don't know what else to try. I am unable to try feeding or scenting with lizard/gecko as none of my local shops offer any feeder types - only beardies, leos, and cresties.

I am completely out of ideas for this guy. I don't want to give up on him either, but I'm not sure what else to try. Are there perhaps some techniques I'm not able to come up with? Is it maybe a pointless battle and the little guy will never eat on his own? My husbandry is correct... Aspen shavings, proper temp ranges, ample hiding spots and water dish, etc. I place him in a separate tupperware container to feed (as I do with my adult) - should I perhaps try feeding him in the tank he lives in?! Ouf. I need some help here, guys. Like I said I don't wanna give up on the little guy but it feels like I'm fighting an uphill battle here... :headbang:

Shiari
09-30-2013, 09:20 PM
What are your temperatures?

I gave 24 non-feeders to the local pet store as I didn't have time to fiddle with them. They got all but 3 eating... by raising the temperature of the warm spot to 90 and the humidity. *facepalm* So annoyed. So happy they didn't all die, but SO ANNOYED.

Jillian
09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Generally when I have the picky eaters I feed them at night trying one of the techniques that you have tried and then check them in the morning. I leave them in the warmest room of my house and sometimes it works. I have never had an issue with a live piny and snake generally a pinky is just too tiny to do much damage if you leave it overnight. I generally brown bag my snakes and leave them (safely and so they can't get out) until morning.

AliCat37
09-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Lizard scenting!! Any lizard!

chelzzer
10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Shiari - My temps are between 70/75 on cold, and 80/85 on hot. It fluctuates with the house temp, and usually stays between those except if we randomly get a really cold night or hot day. But I guess that's the same as anywhere. And really? Bumping the temp helped that much? Hmmm. I'll have to try that.

Jillian - I will try leaving with a live pink overnight and see what happens.

AliCat37 - Any lizard? Really? Hmm. If I can get my hands on a lizard I'll try it, but I don't own lizards anymore. And I somehow doubt anybody I know or a petstore will lend me a lizard to scent my snake food hahah! But, I will try it if I can get a lizard somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys :)
I will let you know how it goes!

Guruofchem
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Have you tried putting them together in a dark place (ie a brown paper bag) and leaving them overnight? Seems that was one of the ideas on Nanci's laundry list, but I can't tell if you have tried that yet. You can leave the bag in the enclosure on the warm side if you are worried about him getting too cool...

chelzzer
10-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Guruofchem - No I haven't tried that. It seems when someone else has a snake issue I can come up with all these solutions but when it's my own, all my knowledge goes out the window lol

AliCat37
10-01-2013, 12:45 PM
AliCat37 - Any lizard? Really? Hmm. If I can get my hands on a lizard I'll try it, but I don't own lizards anymore. And I somehow doubt anybody I know or a petstore will lend me a lizard to scent my snake food hahah! But, I will try it if I can get a lizard somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys :)
I will let you know how it goes!

I always was told anoles, but I don't have those and didn't want to buy one just to scent pinks, so I rubbed pinks on my poor frilled lizard and the babies ate them! Haha

Guruofchem
10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Frilly scented pinks...gotta be a joke there somewhere...:laugh: