PDA

View Full Version : Uncoordinated but not stargazer

Uncoordinated but not stargazer

notserp
10-07-2013, 02:52 AM
I don't have tons of experiance but every corn I have had has been very coordinated. Also they always hold on to you themselves (tight grasp with their tails) I recently got a one year old female snow. I left her alone quite a bit in the beginning for adjustment, but I had noticed she was very laid back and was a little limp when you picked her up. At first I just thought personality because she looks healthy. Now that I have held her lots I'm starting to worry. Her coordination isn't terrable like a stargazer she just seems a little off. She barley holds on with her tail. If I let her she would eventually fall. Any thoughts?

Shiari
10-07-2013, 03:12 AM
I have some corns that don't attempt to grasp. *shrugs*

kmonteith
10-07-2013, 04:12 AM
I've had some fall out of my hands, and a few months later, they will hold on for dear life.. Guess it's just a personality thing.

Iulia
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM
got any pics? or a video?

hypnoctopus
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I have one that won't really grasp you, but he certainly isn't limp. Does she move around fine on her own?

NH93
10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I guess it really depends if she is actually limp/paralized, versus indeifferent to grasping.
My female snow (almost 1.5 years) also does this. When I first got her she held on suuuper tight. She has fallen quite a few times in her cage (her own fault... lol, totally unharmed!) and slipped a couple of times in my arms but I have always caught her. It seems the more and more I catch her, the less and less she cares to hold on.
So all in all, mine is the same way. I would assume that with experience, they learn (subconciously perhaps) to "trust" you not to let them fall.

So if she seems healthy, and that is your only concern - and she's not showing any other signs that worry you - then I would think she's just fine.

:)

notserp
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
you wouldn't see much in a photo and I don't have any videos. It isn't that obvious. I live by myself so I would have to find someone to do the video for me. If I just filmed her in her cage you wouldn't see anything because she moves around fine. She always moves pretty slow tho. The limp thing is weird. She has muscle tone but when you pick her up her body is so relaxed that parts of her body just hang. Usually you can feel them stiffen up a bit when they are picked up. If you wanted to measure her she would probably let you pull her straight without much resistence. I tested her when I fed her last night. I moved the mouse around a lot and pretty quick. She hit it right on the nose the first time and had it double wrapped tight in less then a second. She looked very coordinated. Maybe just personality.

Justine66
10-07-2013, 07:20 PM
yeah.. she just seems a bit 'lazy' when it comes to hanging on.. my corn doesn't hold onto me AT ALL unless I completely let go of him and he will wrap his body and tail around my arm.. but aside from that when I pick him up, I have always fully supported his whole body, as a hatchling and now as a yearling some of his coils will slip off and he just lets them hang, along with his tail.. lol he looks pretty limp but he's just relaxed as far as I can tell.. lol

maybe whoever had her before always supported her full body as a baby, so she's just not worried about falling, you got her.. ;)

hope this helps! but if she's constructing and eating I'd say its just another really mellow natured corn, being a corn.. :laugh:

hikisquid
10-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Mine will sometimes grab on with his tail, usually he lets me wrap it on my neck and then leaves it, sometimes he flops it around as if to challenge me holding him safely. :shrugs:

Wamba681
10-11-2013, 07:54 AM
I have two extremes of this as well. My milksnake-phase miami, Callia, will be completely limp noodle in my hands. Doesn't even try to hang on at all. Just how she's always been. However, she routinely climbs all over her viv. So, not for lack of muscle tone, just.. floppy.

Then, I have my abbott's okeetee girl.. who will wrap so tightly everytime I hold her my hands will start turning purple. Lol. No attempts to eat me, but just clings on *very* tightly.