PDA

View Full Version : Clicking while breathing?

Clicking while breathing?

Hail_Britannia
10-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm a touch concerned about our new baby, Ashbringer. I notice I can hear a clicking-type sound when he breathes sometimes, and he will occasionally open his mouth as if yawning or catching a breath of air. I can hear the clicking when he does this also. I am worried because I do not remember Cornwallis ever doing this when she was his age. I have his warm side thermostat set at 81 degrees, which means temps fluctuate from about 79 to 83. The ambient temperature of the room he is kept in is about 73 degrees. I don't have a humidity gauge in his tank yet (I know, bad me), but I do have one in Cornwallis' tank, which is in the same room. Hers is currently reading about 60% humidity. Our Rosy boa's gauge reads at 30%, so I'd guess at Ash's humidity levels being around 50% or so (Cornwallis has a larger water bowl and Rivet a smaller). He appears healthy otherwise- had a perfect shed a few days ago, and ate his pinkie mouse with gusto.

Is this typical baby snake behavior? There is an exotic reptile vet down the street from us and I will take him if I need to, but I'd like to get the opinions of more experienced keepers on the forum first. I got him from Mojo Herps and all her babies looked great, bright and healthy. Thoughts?

Hail_Britannia
10-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I should add that he was doing this while he was in shed, and also puffing up his throat- which I understand is common in shedding snakes. However, his shed was three days ago and he's still doing it- although no longer puffing.

Guruofchem
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Sometimes a piece of shed can get stuck near the nostrils and cause such a noise as a snake breathes - you might look for signs of residual shed there. Also possible it's a respiratory infection, but given the shed status I'd say that's the more likely cause.

Hail_Britannia
10-17-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't see any stuck shed. But I also don't see any mucous or discharge or anything. I've never had any health issues with my snakes, so I'm just fretting.