PDA

View Full Version : Well I lost my snake but found him in a weird place

Well I lost my snake but found him in a weird place

AshWolFF
10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
My little Cornsnake I got a couple weeks ago escaped for 15 days.

The enclosure he was in had holes but I had taped them up bottom and top (so he doesn't hurt himself), I kept the little flip tops taped down as well and always had a few chunks of stone on top just in case.

I looked for him in the morning one day and he was there but when I got home from college he had vanished. I tore apart my house and didn't find him. I laid out mice traps, bottle traps, flour, everything!

I took another look at my cage and found that something wasn't right, it looked tampered with, I realized that there were a few decorations out of their ordinary places.

Well it ended up I found him, alive, a pale grey, cold, and skinny in my truck. :(

My friend failed to steal him! I guess he was trying to stuff it in his backpack but the snake had gotten out and he failed to notice.

I started smelling something pretty raunchy in the cabin and it was his poop he left behind which is how I found him in the bedsprings of the benchseat.

This just happened yesterday night and I fed him a warm pinky mouse, warmed up his tank, and put him back in. He has regained his coloration but he's stayed on his UTH, in a tight ball, and has used his tail to bury his head. He's clearly alive because I can see his stomach moving up and down but I feel so bad!

Should I feed him another Pinky in 2-3 days once he digest the one he has already eaten? :(

spyderk
10-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Not an expert here, but I would not feed him again so soon. Give him time to digest that one and leave him be for a week and see how he's acting then.

AshWolFF
10-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah I'm not an expert either. I just don't want him to starve he's as skinny as a pencil when he was thick as a thumb before.

AliCat37
10-29-2013, 12:45 PM
He couldn't have lost that much weight in only two weeks. It's not possible. I have had hatchlings not eat for almost 3 months and they only started losing weight towards the end.
Don't feed him again for at least a week. Honestly, he shouldn't have been fed yet at all.

Treat him like he is a brand new snake.

Good luck, and I would get a lock for that cage if you're going in invite that person over again!

Buttons
10-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Get new friends! haha

Jafar
10-29-2013, 01:19 PM
My snake was lost for almost 4 weeks, and no difference in weight. I should be picking up the usual feeding schedule.

AshWolFF
10-29-2013, 01:24 PM
I think he lost that much weight because he was in a car in 8 F degree weather for most of the time. We also had 2 days where the weather outside got to 82 F so if it's double that in an enclosed vehicle I can't imagine how he didn't bake himself alive!

Well I am going to purchase a wire top (to avoid the holes) and once I do I'm flipping the 55 gallon onto its side which will be more footprint since he's not much of a climber, yet. Yeah my 'friend' is going to get some serious talking to once he picks up his cellphone. :/

NH93
10-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Wow. That is an incredible and sh*tty story, to be honest.
What kind of a FRIEND steals (or attempts to steal) another person's pet!?

I personally would NOT be friends with that individual again, ever. Trust = BROKEN.

As for your poor snake, I totally agree with AliCat!
Give it time to settle back into it's home. Don't feed it too vigorously, or the opposite of what you'd like to happen will happen.

AshWolFF
10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I think my snake needs to be on: I should have died TV show. Haha.

I feel kind of bad for my 'friend' that stole my snake because he does have issues and all I've tried to do is help him out. No more sessions of just talking at my house because he literally snuck up the stairs either while I was going to the bathroom or lighting my cigarette.

I didn't know I wasn't suppose to feed it too quickly it was really just an instinct reaction: If you see something struggling to live you instantly want to take care of it or that's just me...

He's more out and about getting back to routine, surprisingly when I put my hand in there to rearrange some things he didn't have any stress reactions.

starsevol
10-29-2013, 05:22 PM
I think the only reason people are advising against feeding him is that when a snake eats and feels stress, it a natural reaction for it to regurge so it can try to flee. Regurge on such a skinny baby would be worse than waiting to feed him for a few days....

AshWolFF
10-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah and it's a good point.

I'm not going to feed him, I'll just wait a week or so or go back to his normal schedule which is feeding every Friday morning.