PDA

View Full Version : mites and other issues please help!

mites and other issues please help!

ImNotDeadYet13
11-02-2013, 10:46 PM
okay so last night as i was checking on my snakes i noticed my male was acting funny like rubbing himself all through his bedding at first i thought it's because he's about to shed but then i went to change his water i saw little black dots and i assumed he had mites so i kinda freaked out a bit like i do over everything that involves my little guy i moved him into my holding tank and cleaned his whole tank out took out everything and just put paper towels and a new water bowl in when i went to put him back n his tank i saw he had puked up his mouse from the day before (i was stupid and didnt think it had only been a little over 24 hours since he ate) so today i got the mite treatment stuff and cleaned him off cleaned the tank again and put in new paper towels

i really have no idea if ive done everything im supposed to
he has mites on top of being about to shed and now puking plus i just brought home a new snake whos rather bitey towards me seems like everything it going wrong at once can anymore please give me some advice?

The Cat
11-02-2013, 11:05 PM
There is a regurge protocol somewhere, but I don't know. Sorry! I think you have to skip her next feeding, and when you do feed her, it should be a smaller prey size.

chris68
11-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Provent A Mite. Works great for mites. http://www.pro-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=59

edit: didn't see you already bought something for mites

Buzzard
11-03-2013, 12:09 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

NH93
11-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Please relax, take it easier, just breathe!
Definitely do follow that regurge protocol. But also make sure to quarantine your new snake so it doesn't also get mites. Do you know where the mites could have come from? (Have you checked our new snake? They could have come in with him/her, or if you've been to an expo lately, etc.)
Try not to stress yourself too much! That won't help anyone.
You seem very determined, so as long as you follow the protocols, everything should work out just fine.

Best of luck with everything!

ImNotDeadYet13
11-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I have the new snake in a different room of the house until I'm sure she's healthy I'll move her into my room in about a week I think the mites came from the cats ears on to me one of my yard cats had them but my room always stays really hot so it's the perfect breeding ground for that stuff

NH93
11-03-2013, 06:09 PM
I think typically it is suggested to quarentine new snakes in other rooms for 3-6 months. I think that's an especially good idea, given the mites :/

Guruofchem
11-03-2013, 07:14 PM
I have the new snake in a different room of the house until I'm sure she's healthy I'll move her into my room in about a week I think the mites came from the cats ears on to me one of my yard cats had them but my room always stays really hot so it's the perfect breeding ground for that stuff

Snake mites don't infect mammals, and vice versa, so your cats are not the source. Keep the new snake quarantined, be very careful to clean yourself and not transfer mites, and follow the instructions on mite treatment. Getting the eggs is tough and requires multiple treatments of the cage over a couple of weeks.

ImNotDeadYet13
11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure where they came from then... I think I'm gonna keep the girl n the other room until after winter since I can't find a plug for her heater I've been checkin her every day too I haven't seen any mites or signs on her she seems healthy shed for the first time today too

m1n054
11-03-2013, 10:03 PM
If I remember correctly snake mites don't predate mammals just the snakes and it's most likely that they got from another snake or maybe another reptile?

Got to be careful if you got other snakes as mites can hang on to your cloths and you basically give them a ride to your other snakes.