PDA

View Full Version : Blind?!?!?!

Blind?!?!?!

ImNotDeadYet13
11-06-2013, 03:51 AM
okay so i'm a little worried my baby snake somehow got mites but i have been treating as i was told following all the steps
well i thought he was going to shed because his eyes looked funny but now it's been about a week with his eyes looking almost like peelly and all black (his eyes r silver) normally when he sheds his eyes look funny for 2 days tops then go blue and he does his thing now im worried i didnt catch the mites fast enough and maybe they got his eyes? can that happen? i took a ruler that was room temp and kinda waved it around his body normally he'd try and knock anything that comes close to him hes not shy he always like to investigate things like that well he didnt move at all i've also noticed he has been hiding n his hide none stop which is also strange normally if anyone is n the room he's right up and the glass wanting to no whats going on
i keep hoping ill go check on him and see blue eyes or a shed but its been so long and im really worried hes acting so strange and im just not sure whats going on

horrible picture but this is what his eyes look like right now

http://i41.tinypic.com/2yn5dp3.jpg

ImNotDeadYet13
11-06-2013, 05:10 AM
better pictures of his eyes didnt notice until i used a zoom lens that there kinda yellowish idk if thats normal but he just doesnt look like hes gonna shed to me

http://i43.tinypic.com/ipr1pk.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dkgn9.jpg

Spencer
11-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Well, That was about the longest sentence I've ever read.

I am just curious did you soak the snake in water before medicating. It's not okay to soak the snake in water again after medicating but it is important to do it before so that the snake doesnt drink the meds. drinking it can cause blindness or even death. Also, If the snake went in to the water dish, after being medicated, it is possible he drank some of the meds.
My snake looked weird and faded for about a week before he turned blue this time, He is still not all the way blue, but he is turning blue. Could be that too.

I know it's not ideal, and it will definitely change the relationship you have with your snake if he is blind, but hopefully you will still have a great pet, even if he is blind. If so....sorry man.

ImNotDeadYet13
11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
sorry i have horrible grammer and spelling...

but yes i soaked him before medicating and i was told to take the water dish out until the next day after using the meds. i put it back in the next day and unless he went in it when i wasnt home i don't think he left his hide for 3 days.

i know he's stressed and doesnt fell well yet he still hasnt tried to strike at anyone and is still easy to handle. blind or not im not worried i just dont want something really bad to happen to him.

AliCat37
11-06-2013, 09:34 AM
It looks like retained eye caps to me.

ImNotDeadYet13
11-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Like the eye caps from his last shed? I still have the skin from it and it's complete I checked the eyes and the tip of the tail as soon as he shed which was about a month ago

AliCat37
11-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah like the eye caps from the last shed, that's what one of my baby corns looked like when she had a retained eye cap.
But it's weird if she had a perfect shed last time.

ImNotDeadYet13
11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Im looking at the skin now eye caps are on it :/ at first I thought maybe it's the start of his next shed (he's due soon) but adding in the mites and personality change and how it's yellowish I just don't know what it is he also can't see very well if at all I made appointment at the closet vet to me that will see snakes but they can't see me till Monday

Justine66
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
awe. poor little Guy!

it does look like retained eye caps, but I have never seen that in person so I can't be certain..
either way best of luck too both of you!

hopefully the vet can help! :(

Chip
11-06-2013, 01:39 PM
The only blind snake is the snake with no tongue. If the last shed included caps, all is probably fine. I've never seen retained caps just shed the new ones in a new shed. Do you know anyone with a better camera?

ImNotDeadYet13
11-06-2013, 10:49 PM
I came home today and he had shed not completely but the head and chest n one part the rest of his body in the other I called the owner of the shop he came from and he said the mites might have been why his eyes never went blue and why they still look a little odd but he seems to be seeing just fine tomorrow is feeding day but I'm waiting the until Monday since he threw up last Thursday. thanks everyone!

Justine66
11-06-2013, 11:19 PM
sooo very glad to hear!!!
:)