PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Help With Humidity?

Ways to Help With Humidity?

The Cat
11-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Well, my snake is in blue, and I want to make her viv more humid. I've misted, but my mister is bad and I don't think it helps. How can I keep the humidity in? I know there's other ways to help humidity, too, but I'm not sure what those are.

Any suggestions?

HerpsOfNM
11-18-2013, 07:31 PM
You can provide a humid or moist hide.

1 sterilite shoebox-size storage container or other suitable container
1 bag of Eco earth (ground coconut fiber)

Cut a 1.5 -2 inch hole in the lid of container. Fill container 3/4 way full with moistened Eco earth (add water, squeeze out all excess, refluff in container). Place lid back, place assembled container into cage, covering part of your under tank heat pad with the container. Close tank, watch as snake enjoys new hide spot that also functions as a humid shedding location

Xerneas
11-18-2013, 07:46 PM
You can provide a humid or moist hide.

1 sterilite shoebox-size storage container or other suitable container
1 bag of Eco earth (ground coconut fiber)

Cut a 1.5 -2 inch hole in the lid of container. Fill container 3/4 way full with moistened Eco earth (add water, squeeze out all excess, refluff in container). Place lid back, place assembled container into cage, covering part of your under tank heat pad with the container. Close tank, watch as snake enjoys new hide spot that also functions as a humid shedding location

I second this! :D All of my herps have really liked humid hides and ever since I started using them I haven't had a single shedding problem.

TheFrogman
11-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Another noob question, when they go blue, is it very noticeable?

Alicia P
11-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Another noob question, when they go blue, is it very noticeable?It depends on the morph. I have a snow (red eyes) that I can barely tell when she is blue & I almost always notice after I feed her :dunce:

The Cat
11-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Are there other ways beside the moist hide? I've been trying to get around that. I don't have extra hides right now.

Nythain
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Screen top aquarium style I presume. There's a few tricks of the trade here.
1. Mist twice daily. Mist the walls of the enclosure, not so much to get things soaked, but enough to leave a nice amount of droplets to evaporate.
2. Use a wet towel to cover 2/3-3/4 of the top. Wetter than damp, but not wet enough to actually drop down into the tank. Wet substrate is usually bad unless it's a substrate that handles moister well... which brings me to...
3. Switch substrates to something that holds moisture and humidity better. Eco-Earth, peat moss, cypress mulch, etc.
4. Without switching substrates entirely, you can of course use a similar concept to the "moist hide", and just get an open container of decent size, throw some wet sphagnum moss in it and nestle it in there somewhere.
5. Put in another, considerably larger water bowl. On the warm side somewhere. The heat will help the water constantly evaporate, raising the humidity levels a little bit.
6. DON'T USE HEAT BULBS OR CERAMIC HEAT EMITTERS. They may be cheap and awesome, but they dry the air out around them something fierce. Under tank heaters and, for custom enclosures, radiant heat panels are the best sources of heat in the sense that they don't produce light and don't dry the air near as much.

Hope at least some of that helps.

Clepsydre
11-19-2013, 03:30 AM
When i had not enough hides what i did was use Lego to build one (hard to clean but really helped).
Also I looted every cheap plastic container I could find. Most where transparent so i used some Scott towel on top to provide privacy. Not the cutest options but it work! :)

Nanci
11-19-2013, 05:31 AM
I just mist lightly and lay a sheet of plastic wrap loosely over the top. I have a hatchling that I wanted to give a more humid environment to, and I placed an open deli cup of damp moss in her bin. That's her little kingdom now, even when it dries out. She loves that bowl of moss.

The Cat
11-19-2013, 06:48 AM
I just mist lightly and lay a sheet of plastic wrap loosely over the top. I have a hatchling that I wanted to give a more humid environment to, and I placed an open deli cup of damp moss
in her bin. That's her little kingdom now, even when it dries out. She loves that bowl of moss.

I was thinking about this one, but I wasn't sure how to do it. Thanks, everyone. :)

ShelbyScott
11-24-2013, 02:15 PM
I love this thread! My viv is very bad about drying out quickly. When Paisley is blue, I end up having to mist the tank about 10 times a day! It gets old, but apparently I'm a doting snake mother. Lol!

nancyg
11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
my adults love the empty plastic coffee cans- cut a hole in the side or lid (heat with lighter to round off sharp edges) . I toss in some shredded paper and sprinkle/shake some water around in it and drain out any excess water. I get mine from work. I thought they were kinda small for them, but they will use them even without moisture over the large animal cracker 'bottle' cut in half. Plus they are cleanable, - sooner or later mine poop on anything cardboard.

TyeW
11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Screen top aquarium style I presume. There's a few tricks of the trade here.
1. Mist twice daily. Mist the walls of the enclosure, not so much to get things soaked, but enough to leave a nice amount of droplets to evaporate.
2. Use a wet towel to cover 2/3-3/4 of the top. Wetter than damp, but not wet enough to actually drop down into the tank. Wet substrate is usually bad unless it's a substrate that handles moister well... which brings me to...
3. Switch substrates to something that holds moisture and humidity better. Eco-Earth, peat moss, cypress mulch, etc.
4. Without switching substrates entirely, you can of course use a similar concept to the "moist hide", and just get an open container of decent size, throw some wet sphagnum moss in it and nestle it in there somewhere.
5. Put in another, considerably larger water bowl. On the warm side somewhere. The heat will help the water constantly evaporate, raising the humidity levels a little bit.
6. DON'T USE HEAT BULBS OR CERAMIC HEAT EMITTERS. They may be cheap and awesome, but they dry the air out around them something fierce. Under tank heaters and, for custom enclosures, radiant heat panels are the best sources of heat in the sense that they don't produce light and don't dry the air near as much.

Hope at least some of that helps.

+1 to this. Covering the top and having a larger water bowl will help significantly. I also agree with using a heat mat. For making a moist hide, you can use a shoebox container as mentioned or simply an 8 inch deli container with a hole cut. Don't forget to burn where you cut so it is not sharp.