PDA

View Full Version : Help!! She Threw Up!

Help!! She Threw Up!

Corny73
07-21-2004, 09:24 PM
I fed my 3 month old corn snake two pinkies on sunday. I had to leave for a few days but came back today and picked her up and handled her for a while. I changed the cage carpet because she had pooped on it while i was gone. I then noticed she still had a lump in her stomache and i thought it was weird that she hadnt digested the second pink. I then noticed after about 15 minutes of handling she was opening her mouth. I put her back in her cage where she threw up the second mouse!! What should i do? she seems very normal and seems very alert. Should i just not feed her two next time or is there any other precaution i should take or something i should do? Or is this normal for over eating? please help!!

MegF.
07-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Were your cage temps warm enough? I would wait 7-10 days before feeding again, and go down in size for the next 2 or 3 feedings. You can try a little grapefruit seed extract in the water as well. 2-3 drops in 8 oz. of water. Mine regurged once, but has done fine since then. Make sure you change your water daily. The breeder I got my Aztec from said that he now changes the water daily after his corn got a bacterial stomach disorder. He used to change it every couple of days, or if it looked dirty. I'm now doing the same, just to be on the safe side. No regurges since then, and she's now up to 2 fuzzies.

leia
07-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Last weekend my snake regurged as well.

It came as a total surprise, since he had pooped and no longer had a lump in his stomach and was not acting strangely.
I noticed that he was VERY active afterwards (posibly trying to hunt down some dinner!).

Listen to Meg, you need to wait a week to 10 days before feeding again. The puking upset all the tummy acids, and the snake will need this time to rebuild, otherwise it will be unable to digest any food you give it before then...which will start the cycle over again. Since the tummy acids still won't be completely normal yet, you'll want to feed smaller (posibly behead, or slice open the food so the acids can get to it better) the next few times. Then if all goes well, feed as usual.

On a side note, Sat 2 weeks ago my snae regurged. The following Sun (8 days later) I fed a pinky. He took it down in like 3 seconds and wanted more. I have recently added new substrate (Repti-Bark), and got my light back (just a normal lightbulb, but it helps warm & make things brighter). I haven't seen poop in it, but when possible, my snake likes to dig through the substrate and hide the poop somewhere below the surface. There has been no puke, so for a tiny pinky half a week ago, I'm sure there's at least one (or two) poops hiding.

Corny73
07-22-2004, 12:58 AM
Thank you both so much! I was like freaking out and i have no idea what to do. Thanks again!

MegF.
07-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Welcome to our world. I did the same thing the first time mine regurged. I had already read everything about it, and knew basically what to do, but I ran screaming to the breeder anyway! We're hopeless.....

Corny73
07-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Is it ok to handle her durring the next 10 days or should i just leave her in her viv until she relaxes??

So Pirate55
07-22-2004, 11:18 PM
i'd leave her alone just to reduce stress as much as possible. Also get ur temps up, assuming that u didnt have the corn in the mid 90's. that being the case, bring them down

MegF.
07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Too low can cause regurge too. They need about 82 degrees to digest properly, and if you only have cool temps, they'll end up not being able to digest and will regurge.

Corny73
07-23-2004, 02:21 AM
LOL i dont think temp is too much of a problem lol i live in Miami, Florida so if its ever under 80 degrees its a celebration! lol i have a therm in the warm end and the cool ends of the tank and both read where they should be and i use and UTH so belly heat is there.

MegF.
07-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Sounds like it could just be one of those things. I never did figure out what caused my regurge. I'm thinking mine was from stress, so now mine's on paper and fed in the viv instead of a seperate container like my other one is.

noPROBwitMYsnak
07-27-2004, 05:38 PM
she may have bine handle to much