PDA

View Full Version : Is my old corn snake dying?

Is my old corn snake dying?

karmella
12-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Karmella is an 18 years old corn snake (I originally miscalculated) that I've had since she was a little pencil.
Despite a generally clean environment, she has scale rot for the first time ever that I'm currently treating with polysporin. She has never been sick before.
I've raised the temp in her tank.
I've sanitized the tank and placed paper towel on the bottom and faithfully replace clean water daily (room temp water that's been sitting out for 24hours).
She is very inactive and has lost some weight and strength.
She has not eaten for at least 12 weeks now.
Her breathing is slow and deep.
I noticed a few small lumps on her side here and there (smaller than pea-size).
I am not able to get her to a vet so if you have any other suggestions or comments, that would be appreciated.

rich333
12-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm no expert.....

but if it were me.....

I'd keep doing what your doing. Perhaps She's not eating because she's stressed over

the Scale rot....

Try to get that under control....and see if her appetite comes back.

Eatmice2010
12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I hope he gets better :(

Justine66
12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
yeah, I would keep treating the scale rot..
when my snake had minor scale rot he wouldn't eat, and he also hid a lot!

I'm guessing to try and heal himself!
good luck I hope she gets better!

Spencer
12-05-2013, 06:59 PM
12 weeks is a while though.

karmella
12-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Karmella has been spending all of her days curled in the heat in her cave. I lightly applied some polysporin two days in a row then never again. She was out and moving about today so I attempted to feed her and she showed no interest. I noticed a while later that she's shedding. I've never seen her shed because has always done it at night or when no one is around. Sounds to me like she'll be ready to eat in a day or so. I bought some Aspen that's waiting to go in the bottom of her tank. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Nanci
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
You might want to offer her a smaller mouse, like a fuzzy, to see if you can tempt her. Then once she takes one, she'll probably take more.

karmella
12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I didn't have small mice to offer her so I offered her a regular one and she took it immediately and ate it no problem, also drank quite a bit of water. I'll wait a few days before replacing the paper towel with aspen (as suggested by others). She's moving around quite a bit now and seems to be back to normal. I'll make sure to keep a closer eye on the temperature in her tank and make sure there aren't any drastic fluctuations.

Buzzbee
12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Woohoo! Happy result (except to hear about the scale rot clearing up) on the first page!! Congrats you :D

Justine66
12-09-2013, 02:37 PM
yes. that's great news!
Congrats! :)

Buzzbee
12-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Huh, read back over post and realised I missed out 2 rather important words so here goes...

"hear about the scale rot NOT YET clearing up"

Gosh I sound horrid in that previous post :O