PDA

View Full Version : A question about MARS ??? 8-)

A question about MARS ??? 8-)

CornsnakeKeeper
06-28-2002, 01:06 PM
At the MARS, is it really that many people in attaendance? I mean, they sell tickets ahead of time by mail. Is it that bad trying to get in? Also, if you don't get there first thing in the morning, can you count on have things left? Especially from a booth like Rich's? I mean, if I want to maybe pick up an opal, a lav, and a butter, am I going to have to be there first thing in the morning to have high chances of getting a decent one? Rich?? What do you usually always sell out on the first day? thanks so much... oh and Rich, you care to cut any of us forum members a price break? LOL =)

Elaphe_Mo
06-28-2002, 01:43 PM
MARS is a big show...not quite as big as the National Expo but probably the biggest show in this area. And yes, I've had to wait in line to get in. As for things being sold out, I'd bet you can find what you are looking for as long as you go on the first day sometime, but maybe someone else might answer that better. Anyway it's a great show and I know I can't wait!!

sue frederick
06-28-2002, 09:17 PM
We usually don't get there until early afternoon and the lines aren't bad at all. If you know that you want those particular snakes, why not email Rich or Kathy Love and reserve them (with payment, of course) and pick them up at the show. That way you won't have to pay shipping and will be assured of getting them. The more exotic morphs will sell out earlier than the "normals" usually. Although, if there is a particular sex and age of normal that you want, it is guaranteed to be sold about 10 minutes before you get to the table. It is a great show and more than worth the drive.
sue frederick

CornsnakeKeeper
06-28-2002, 09:36 PM
I would like to do that, but the thing is, I know what I want now, but when i get there and see what they have that's special or neat looking, I will change my mind...lol! And if they sell out on what I wanted originally, I know that will be what I will continue looking for! hehe... I think I'm just gonna try my luck... Thanks....Anyone else? Rich?

CrazyCorn
06-30-2002, 09:48 PM
I thought we havent had people on mars yet? LOL

Rich Z
07-01-2002, 01:47 AM
We usually do pretty well at the MARS show, so yes, there is always a possibility some things may be sold out. We have both the Daytona Beach Expo and the Raleigh, NC. show before we get to the MARS show, plus I'm sure orders will be getting shipped out a couple of times per week. As far as predicting exactly what will sell out, man I wish I could do that. I figure that at an average show we will sell between 25 and 33 percent of what we bring there. If I could predict in advance what will sell, it would certainly save me a lot of trouble by not packing up those 'losers' that nobody wants at the show.

Last year I think I only had two Opals left by the time we got to that show

But invariably, if I think something will be a hot seller and I bring tons of them, they have the kiss of death to them and I couldn't give them away. So I have learned to bring a good selection of everything, and if I sell out of something, oh well.

And yes, I always have several people whom will prepay or put deposits on animals to pick up at most of the shows we attend. It takes the pressure off of them to try to get to our tables before we sell out of what they are interested in. I do not hold animals back from someone otherwise. I have actually had people pick out a half dozen animals and then ask me to hold them behind the table for them while they check out the rest of the show to see if there is something else they would rather buy. I fell for that one exactly one time, when the guy didn't come back.

I would advise everyone to try to spend some time behind a table at a show, even if it's just to help out, to get a view of what we see at shows. Believe me, it will definitely be an eye opener for you.

As far as attendance is concerned, it is usually very crowded there. Last year we were all on pins and needles setting up for the show, because if you remember, it was right after the 9/11 WTC attack. We had no clue if anyone was even going to show up. Several vendors cancelled out or could not get to the show because of the airline restrictions. We all breathed a sigh of relief (especiall Tim Hoen - show promoter) when by the time the doors opened up, the line extended out to York Road and beyond.

Oh yeah, I forgot. We flew Don Soderberg out to the MARS show last year so he could help us out at our tables. We had an absolute blast. Don once told me that he never knew you were supposed to have FUN at a show, so we had to give him some on the job training. I'm sure he was just joking, but I think he had a hell of a time with us that weekend. Heck, it was worth it to me just to see the expressions on people's faces when they saw Don and I standing behind the same tables! I think he said something about helping us out at Expo this year, so that should be a fun time out there.

Anyway, it's one of the shows that is likely permanently on our schedule each year.

BTW, I don't know how many of you realize this, but Tim and Diane Hoen (the promoters of the MARS show), donate just about every penny they make on the show to buy land in Costa Rica to preserve it for biodiversity. Up until last year, Tim was still driving the same beatup pickup truck that he had when I was living up in Maryland 11 years ago. And it was old back then. I think someone had to put a gun to his head to get him to take some money and buy a van. If any of you are anywhere even close to being within driving distance of this show, I urge you to attend and show your support for what Tim and Diane are doing. They are probably the most unselfish people I have ever met in my life. They beat themselves to death to put on that show, and barely get by with the money they make from their real jobs. You have no idea what it does for them to see their show packed with LOTS of happy people. You don't have to buy anything, just show up!

Colleen
07-01-2002, 04:16 AM
Rich is half enough of a deposit? I'm still trying to decide what I want but will be making a decision soon. It would mean another snakey if I could skip the shipping!

Thanks

Colleen

CornsnakeKeeper
07-01-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the responses guys! Maybe that's where the rumour of you and Don joining forces came from, awhile back... I'll have to think long and hard about what I want before I think of reserving anything. Saying that the opals were almost gone last year makes me want to save one, but maybe I'll just try my luck... Time will tell.