PDA

View Full Version : dead

dead

anerythristic/okeete
01-11-2014, 12:07 PM
i just found one of my newest corn snakes dead at my grandmas house i had noticed last week that it had been hanging out in the cold side but i didnt think anything of it, because usually if its too cold they will go to the warm side right? Why do you think it died? it was a good eater and had been doing very well until now, was there something wrong with him? ..?

TheFrogman
01-11-2014, 12:20 PM
OH that stinks, sorry for your loss, I hate hearing these things.

There is really no way we could venture a fair guess to you about why he died without all the more specifics and details. <IMO>

anerythristic/okeete
01-11-2014, 12:40 PM
I just remembered on Christmas one of my cousins was holding it and it scared her and she dropped it could that have caused it, it was only a few months old and was dropped from at least three feet in the air.

The Cat
01-11-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't think it was the fall, if it landed on carpet. I've had mine dropped and was told she would be fine. We need more details, like it's whole set up. I'm very sorry about your snake.

anerythristic/okeete
01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
it has a small water dish, a medium piece of wood(on the cold side),a log with three openings on the warm side, a heat lamp(one with a day bulb and one with a night bulb), and sphagnum moss throughout.

The Cat
01-11-2014, 01:03 PM
What were the temps?

NH93
01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
So sorry... that really stinks.

To be honest, the heat lamp is not normally a good idea because it can kind of have an oven effect in tanks (as in, get too warm for the little snakes inside). I'm not saying this is the cause, but it could have had an impact. I agree with The Cat that knowing the temperatures is a good indication of any trouble brewing.

If you would like us to take our best guess at the possible cause of your little snake's passing, we would like to help. Please do let us know what the temperatures were inside the tank, and how you measured them.

If we can help you figure this out, or shed some more light on the situation, it may help in the future with another snake (if you feel comfortable getting another, at some point). Although environment can lead to a death, sometimes with young ones there is no real explanation either.
But I think your best bet is to post some more information, when you're ready :)

anerythristic/okeete
01-11-2014, 01:40 PM
in the 70s or 80s

The Cat
01-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Was there a warm side and a cold side?

TyeW
01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's never a good time losing a snake.

in the 70s or 80s

Giving a 20 degree range is quite vague. A hot spot of 70 is far too cold, and a hot spot of 89 is a bit too hot. If you are referring to the ambient temps, 89 would be way too hot, and 70 might be a tad cool.

mattsnake
01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Sorry for your loss, but you really need a digital thermometer with a probe to monitor temps on the warm side. Running a heat lamp, plus an unregulated heat pad, will lead to problems like eventual death. It is possible the warm side was too hot and the cold side too cold, who knows.

Nanci
01-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I _do_ know someone who had a snake die from being dropped. Usually they are okay, but not always.

AliCat37
01-11-2014, 09:20 PM
I had a snake die from being dropped (I think) but it happened within a few hours after, not weeks. I don't think this was the cause.

How were you measuring your temps?