PDA

View Full Version : Maizey won't eat!

Maizey won't eat!

cornsnakefan101
01-14-2014, 11:32 PM
So 2 weeks ago I left on vacation and left someone in charge to take care of my baby corn. About a week into the vacation, the caretaker fed her. We came home last night, and I tried feeding her because she had only eaten once while we were gone so I figured she would be hungry. I did the usual, thawed the pinky mouse and tried feeding her. Maizey acted normal at first (started smelling the mouse), but then she wouldn't eat it! Not even bite at it. She kept smelling it but would not eat it. I tried the same thing again tonight and I had the exact same results. Can someone please help me? I'm afraid she might die of starvation and I don't want that to happen to my baby :(

Shiari
01-14-2014, 11:46 PM
She's not going to starve to death after a single week. She won't starve to death even after 3 weeks. She may be getting ready to shed; a lot of babies refuse to eat during that time. You also don't want to offer her food every single days, because that can stress her out and make her less likely to eat.

cornsnakefan101
01-14-2014, 11:47 PM
She's not going to starve to death after a single week. She won't starve to death even after 3 weeks. She may be getting ready to shed; a lot of babies refuse to eat during that time. You also don't want to offer her food every single days, because that can stress her out and make her less likely to eat.

She actually just shed so I don't believe that's the problem. But okay, I'll wait a few days until I feed her again

AliCat37
01-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Agreed, wait a week or five days. When you offer her the next mouse make sure it is HOT! Sometimes I pull the skin back too. They seem to like that.

Phruit Dish
01-15-2014, 01:23 AM
I think I've read that corns may refuse food right after a shed too (though I've done so much reading that I honestly wouldn't remember where), so I'll echo the recommendation to wait before offering food again. There's lots of good information in various threads on what you can do to pinkies to make them easier to digest and/or more appealing, including boiling, "braining," and slitting the skin. Good luck! I hope everything turns out ok, and quickly at that.